The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

LVG Roland CII build begun. 1/48 (In Progress)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: LVG Roland CII build begun. 1/48 (In Progress)    Sun Feb 19 2017, 12:53

Started the Roland CII and never finished it.   I will have  to get back to it.  Another weekend edition version sans the photo etched parts and different marking sets.  Like the Pfalz it contains a slightly different vertical and horizontal set of stabilizers for a slightly different variant.    I guess its not worth the set up time to change the molds for the cost of the plastic in the kits.  If I ever do a WWI diorama of an airbase these will make nice spares to have laying about.  

Taking a break now... will do some assembly tonight and perhaps finish tomorrow.   Not a lot of parts in these things but the painting and trimming is time consuming.  Not as much wing rigging in this one but it still has the spindly gear struts.

Updated for Tuesday afternoon......  happy new year everyone. ......  I'm  glad my daughter bought me that lit pedestal magnifying glass ...the cockpit parts are so small and easy to break.  I bought some new exacto knives for this reason.   After all the efforts on the cockpit  today I dry fitted the fuselage and you can barely see the instrument panel......  Crying or Very sad  

Oh well....it's kept me out of Cindy's hair for much of the afternoon.   The camera mounted by the gunners / observers window is provided in clear and you have to paint it black..... seems a waste of a clear part.   I'm on the fence about the curtains but several photos show that they did use these.  I would have thought anything that might have diminished your ability to see a EA coming your way would have been cast aside.  

I thought this one might be easier but there were some difficulties with the gunners ring mount  fit, it needed a lot of trimming and filing,  the right upper wing setting in place was a problem for a moment.      Hated to close up that cockpit  after spending so much time there.     Decided not to put the curtains on the windows after all.  Just seems like in flight they would not have used them on a mission, something to get lose and tangle the controls or flap about in the wind.  I decided rather than a garish paint like the fighters I would go with the box art as these were used in so many roles and observation recon was a big one.   The churned up earth and limited forest and fields supported the camo patterns they used to hide from higher flying fighters.  

Migrant

PostSubject: Re: LVG Roland CII build begun. 1/48 (In Progress)    Mon Mar 06 2017, 09:36

Did you ever finish this one Kyushu? Looks really good so far. One of my favourite WW1 a/c.

PostSubject: Re: LVG Roland CII build begun. 1/48 (In Progress)    Mon Mar 06 2017, 22:30

It is on my to do list ...considering repaints.

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: LVG Roland CII build begun. 1/48 (In Progress)    Mon Mar 06 2017, 22:57

Very nice Kyushu. It is always such a shame to lose out on cool interiors when a model is closed-up. Glad you took pics of what you had done with it so far and I look forward to seeing the completed model.
Back to top Go down

LVG Roland CII build begun. 1/48 (In Progress)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1