The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Life Too Short To Cry - Tim Vigors. BOB pilot and SEA Fall of Singapore survivor. Grub Street

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Life Too Short To Cry - Tim Vigors. BOB pilot and SEA Fall of Singapore survivor. Grub Street   Sun Feb 19 2017, 14:26

I have always had a special interest in those pilots who flew in multiple theaters.   Tim Vigors was one.  A BOB veteran he was sent to Singapore in 1941  He survived a pair of Nates machine gunning him in his parachute over Malaya by  using a trick a survivor of the early battles over France told him about  being machine gunned by the Germans.   Something that did not get that much press.  

Shot down in a Buffalo, burned to a crisp and and with a bullet in his thigh, he was lucky to get evacuated.  Giving up his seat in a flying boat out of Java  he learned  it was shot down later.       The Japanese executed a lot of hospital patients and doctors rather than take them prisoners, so he was fortunate to get out .

I had been trying to find this book.  Had it ordered twice only to have it later determined it was no longer in stock.   Finally got my copy.  It had sat unfinished when he died,  a friend saw to it that it was completed.    

Grub Street was a good provider of these books back when I was building my library over the years.  Not sure they do so much today.   I bet they have a great listing but have never been able to find one of all titles they published.    

[URL=http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif]

1940 found Tim Vigors in France flying Fairey Battle bombers. After the Fall he converted to fighters joining 222 Squadron with whom he saw frantic and distinguished service over Dunkirk and then during the dangerous days of The Battle of Britain, when he became an ace. Transferred to the Far East in January 1941 as a flight commander with 243, thence to 453 Squadron RAAF, on 10th December he led a flight of Buffaloes to cover the sinking Prince of Wales and Repulse. Dramatically shot down, burnt and attacked on his parachute, he was evacuated to Java, and from there to India. And this is where his hand-written account ends. Throughout, the author describes his experiences in an honest, refreshing way. It is a fascinating and valuable record, one destined to be seen as a classic. Postwar, Tim was no less active primarily in the horse world, in Ireland and England, selling, breeding and consulting; but also in aviation, with his own company Vigors Aviation.

Life Too Short To Cry - Tim Vigors. BOB pilot and SEA Fall of Singapore survivor. Grub Street
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1