The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Tamiya 1/35 Panther Ausf.D

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rumpler

PostSubject: Tamiya 1/35 Panther Ausf.D   Mon Feb 20 2017, 02:15

This is an old kit from Tamiya (cheap) and is good for learning. Read some scathing reports on the model but as I know very little about tanks and the price was right I ignored them. Everything went together very well except for the painting. My first attempt at using Vallejo paints  Bought a tank set of Air grey tank colours. Already thinned and only suitable for airbrushes. I will admit it was a hot day buy nothing came out of the brush and that was the end  of it for a while. They say you can use distilled water as a thinner so I thinned it and managed to get a messy (primer) first coat. After this the airbrush filled up with what looked like white chewing gum. Took two days of soaking to fix it. When the first coat was dry painted with model master enamel. model master not easy to get here but I know what brand to buy in future.

The soldier standing on the tank is part of a set of a great Clint Eastwood movie.
This post has gone on with no trouble compared to my first post re a Hansa aircraft. On that one I was using a Windows 10 PC but used my Windows 7 for this one.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1/35 Panther Ausf.D   Mon Feb 20 2017, 06:11

The Panther looks great! I have done mostly armor and soft skin Military models all my life. Your foray into the AFV looks successful.

It is awful when you do so much work on a model, only to encounter such awful problems in the final stages. It appears you worked your way through just fine. I have used Vallejo paints for quite a while, but I never airbrushed with them. Their high pigmentation lends well to brush painting. I am familiar with the airbrush ready paint they offer, but never used them.

"YOU HAFF PAINTED MEIN PANZER VERY VELL..."

Later German Tanks came out of the factories with a base coat of Panzer Yellow. Depending on the division or even the platoon they went to, they could be painted in a number of ways. The German Army supplied pigments for camouflage painting by the crews or maintenance sections. These pigments were basically dry powders that the user would mix with gas or diesel fuel, to make a "paint". Then they would apply it using brushes or rags.

Basically, while paint and sprayers were used to camouflage German equipment, brush painting was just as acceptable and probably more prevalent.

Again, great work! Thanks for posting it.

Tom

Tamiya 1/35 Panther Ausf.D
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1