The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Group Build #6: In service of the Rising Sun

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Group Build #6: In service of the Rising Sun   Mon Feb 20 2017, 07:50

With the start of a new year (2017), Group Build Mission #6 was assigned - build a model of a subject that was used by and served Japan.  Not to disappoint, our intrepid builders went to work!

The first kit completed was pmmaker's 1/72 Hasegawa Ki-44 IIa Shoki (Tojo) in the markings of a Ki-IIa, 246th Fighter Squadron, Philippines, 1944:

Propwash (Bret) again went the unconventional path.  Bret presented us with a lovely 1/72 Italeri Fiat BR.20 medium bomber which was sold to Japan "when Imperial Japan aggressively began its expansion, in the early stages of what would later become World War II, they started to run short of medium and heavy bombers. During their conquest and occupation of China in 1938, they had to purchase additional aircraft to make up for the shortage and purchased 70 - 100 (complete number is unclear) Fiat BR.20 bombers from Italy."

Mike's entry was this lovely twin-engined Tamiya 1:48 Hyakushiki Shitei III.  The elegant Hyakushiki Shitei (pronounced shitty) was used as a reconnaissance aircraft by the Japanes during WWII:

Ken's entry was on another interesting WWII Japanese aircraft; the Kawanishi E15K Shiun ("Violet Cloud") single-engined Japanese reconnaissance float plane of World War II.  From obscure kit manufacturer Exotic-72, Ken's build really shows us what an interesting aircraft the "Norm" was:

No one can argue that the planes of Imperial Japan were rather different and interesting.  So we wait to see what a future group build brings.

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Group Build #6: In service of the Rising Sun   Sat Feb 25 2017, 11:08

Last and least...Finally finished the Mavis. A 1/72 Hasegawa kit from the early 90's or late 80's....

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Group Build #6: In service of the Rising Sun   Sun Feb 26 2017, 08:01

Good job on this one Tom! Came out looking like a million bucks. Lots of work on a not so easy to do kit, but you pulled it off nicely.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Group Build #6: In service of the Rising Sun   Sun Feb 26 2017, 08:24

Thank you Allan. After the dog messed with it, I almost gave up. I took my time, leaving it alone when I wasn't in the mood to work on it.

It came out okay. Not an easy kit, like you say. Too many little issues like the broken props and actually poor instructions. I had to guess where many of the small detail parts were located as they were not shown in the instructions...

It now hangs with my slightly smaller Emily...

Tom

Group Build #6: In service of the Rising Sun
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1