The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Monogram 1/48 A6M5 Zero

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Monogram 1/48 A6M5 Zero   Mon Feb 20 2017, 08:12

Okay my turn.

I bought and built this kit about a year ago.  I never posted it on here because it really is a piece of poop!  I seldom trash a kit and very rarely am I ashamed to show something I've built, but this was the first build I've ever done that I wished I hadn't done.

First the kit:

If you see this one listed on ebay, just pretend you didn't see it.  Even for $1.00, it's over priced! Most Monogram kits have some redeeming values, but this one falls really short.

The issues:

Where to begin?

(1) The model has an okay pilot, but there's no real cockpit.  You get a seat.  That's it! For a 48th scale kit, you'd think we'd get some cockpit details.  This lack of a cockpit is made worse by the fact that when you look into the wheel wells when the gear is extended, you see right through the wells out into the canopy.  If you look down into the canopy, you can see light from the wheel wells.

Solution tip:  if you are so inclined, you can use card stock and build yourself a cockpit.  I just didn't plan for this when I built the kit so I didn't go this route.  I wish I had.

(2) The fuselage halves don't match up!  You have to really glue, align, re-glue, re-align, and re-glue again to get the fuselage halves together.  Then comes the putty, sanding, and re-puttying and re-sanding.  You get the picture.

Solution tip:  just be patient and expect to do a lot of work.

(3) Oh horrors!  The wings don't have any dihedral.  In fact, they angle downwards!  Where they join to the fuselage leaves a gap large enough to stick a sideways coin completely through.  Trying to "bend" the wings to achieve the correct wing tip up angle, seal the joints, and get the plane to sit correctly on its gear is a real three-ring circus.  Sadly, I totally failed!  Sad

Solution tip:  Use some tape and attach one end to a wing tip.  Then pull the tape until you get the proper angle to both wing tips.  Add lots and lots of liquid cement and wait days and days for the glue to dry.  Be prepared to again use a lot of putty to fill in the gappy joins.

My suggestion: Leave this one alone guys.  There are a lot of better 48th scale kits of the Zero out there. Go get one of those and pretend this one doesn't exist!

The completed model:  Embarassed

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Monogram 1/48 A6M5 Zero   Mon Feb 20 2017, 08:16

EPILOGUE

After seeing Mike's build of this same kit and rereading my own advice, I decided to revisit this build and try to improve upon it.

The first thing to do was to carefully separate the wing assembly from the main fuselage. A combination of cutting and pulling lead to the offending wing assembly coming free.

Then I sanded both the fuselage and the wing connection points to insure a nice, tight weld.

Now came the moment of truth. I took a long piece of masking tape and I stuck one end underneath left the wingtip and then went over the tip so the tape was on the wing upper surface. Next I dry fitted the wing assembly to the fuselage. Now I pushed the left wing tip up to get the correct dihedral for the wing. Pulling the tape taut, I went over the fuselage and then to the right wing tip, pushing on the wing under surface until I got the dihedral I wanted. Then I fastened the tape to the right wing tip under surface. Finally assured the wing was properly seated, had no gaps, and had the desired wing angle, I applied liquid modeling cement to the joins and let the model dry overnight.

Upon removing the tape this morning, I now have a model that I like 100% better that has a much more accurate wing angle.

Before:

After:

pmmaker

Monogram 1/48 A6M5 Zero
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1