The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hobbycraft Dornier - 17z

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Hobbycraft Dornier - 17z   Mon Feb 20 2017, 09:03

[NOTE - COPIED FROM THE TMWCF - Originally posted by Mike Marra]

Well, this one is living up to its' spotty reputation...

It is really not a bad-looking model and I think it will come out OK, but the paucity of directions, and the abundance of EXTRA parts is vexing.

So, I've had to SLOW DOWN big time and use process of elimination for parts...and use photographs off Google Images of the model to see where some of the parts go together. I can see where someone would just toss this one, but at roughly $60, (which is what most will pay for this) that is tough to do.

I purchased it for a small fraction of that (open box kit) because the owner just could not get the motivation to start it for many of the same reasons we are discussing here. Some kits are so daunting, they stay in the box forever!

I will start a thread on this one as I progress...coming along but I've run into all the issues the "master builder" did so far, but the difference is that I was forewarned and expected the problems - that's been very helpful.

Mike

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hobbycraft Dornier - 17z   Mon Feb 20 2017, 09:05

Well, closing out my complaints about this model with this final (I hope) post about it.

In summary, the model is "ok" but certainly NOT worth the $60 asking price from most places who sell it or through an online auction.

It is THE only if not one of the very few 1/48 scale Dornier DO-17Z's on the market and it is out of production, thus the rarity of it.

My strong recommendation is that you not pay more than $20 + S&H.  The model is simply not high-quality and even experienced modelers have major issues with it.  Most modelers I conversed with on model sites either never started it once opening the box, or started it and never finished it - that is bad.

In short:

-Poor directions
-Far too many extra parts that added confusion
-Lack of crew
-Lack of ordnance (bombs)
-No parts provided for open bomb bay doors
-No parts provided for open landing gear nacelles - you get to cut the closed ones open
-Landing gear parts were inadequate and did not fit and had no clear directions
-Engine parts were wrong for this aircraft; oil return lines were far too large
-Antennas were not right
-Building the cockpit and crew area was pure guess work; had to go to other reference books
-Some glass was missing on starboard fuselage that was there on the real version
-Decals were average at best

Some would not find my complaints too daunting for yourselves - and to you I wish you all the best on this one!

For others, I would recommend considering a 1/72 Airfix version as they you would KNOW it would turn out great.  

This has given me a negative view of Hobby Craft, but I do have other Hobby Craft in the queue, so let's hope this one was just a "one off" for them.  This model took me over three weeks to complete, which is a pretty long time for me.

I hoped this helped the plastic model community on the site.

Regards, Mike

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com

Hobbycraft Dornier - 17z
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Model Aircraft Collector Forum :: Plastic Kits & Builds :: Model Kit Hall of Shame-
Jump to: