The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

RS Models 1/72: Flettner Fl 282 B-0 (Kit # 92110)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: RS Models 1/72: Flettner Fl 282 B-0 (Kit # 92110)   Mon Feb 20 2017, 09:10

[NOTE - COPIED FROM THE TMWCF - Originally posted by Propwash]

Until now I have happily purchased, and built, RS Models (see my previous reviews). Unfortunately my winning streak with this brand came to a screeching halt with this particular kit. :/ Before going on here's a little history of the Flettner Fl 282 B-0 "Kolibri" helicopter:

The Flettner Fl 282 Kolibri (hummingbird) was designed in 1940 as an improvement over a previous design by German engineer Anton Flettner. The Fl 282 is considered to be the world's first military production helicopter and entered flight testing in 1941. In 1942 several examples entered service with the German Navy (Kriegsmarine) for use as scouts and observation aircraft (crew usually consisted of a pilot only, but an observer could be seated behind the rotors). By 1944 the Luftwaffe had purchased several for use in much the same way as had the Navy. At war's end many examples were captured by Allied Forces and returned to their respective countries for evaluation. Anton Flettner came to the United States and was heavily involved in the design and construction Kaman HH43 helicopter.

One more interesting note, during the German Army's Ardennes Offensive in 1944, a flight of five Fl 282s attacked a US Army tank column and destroyed two tanks. Two of the little helicopters were shot down during the attack.

New on MilitaryFactory.com:
Picture of Flettner Fl 282 Kolibri (Hummingbird)
View All Images (1)

Specifications for the Flettner Fl 282 Kolibri (Hummingbird)
Single-Seat Scout Helicopter*

Focus Model: Flettner Fl 282 Kolibri (Hummingbird)
Country of Origin: Nazi Germany
Manufacturer: Anton Flettner, Flugzeugbau GmbH - Germany
Initial Year of Service: 1942
Production Total: 24

Crew: 1

Length: 21.82 ft (6.65 m)
Width: 39.24 ft (11.96 m)
Height: 7.22ft (2.20 m)
Weight (Empty): 1,676 lb (760 kg)
Weight (MTOW): 2,205 lb (1,000 kg)

Powerplant: 1 x Bramo Sh 14A 7-cylinder radial piston engine delivering 160 horsepower.
Maximum Speed: 93 mph (150 kmh; 81 kts)
Maximum Range: 106 miles (170 km)
Service Ceiling: 10,827 ft (3,300 m; 2.1 miles)

* Specifications were obtained from TheMilitaryFactory.com web site.

The Kit

The kits allows you to build two versions of the 282 (two open cockpit and two enclosed). The markings, which are nicely done, are for one naval and two Luftwaffe versions. The fourth set allows you to mark the aircraft as it was undergoing tests in the United States.

I opted for the open-cockpit Kreigsmarine version.

Well, to keep this part brief, the instructions were poor and, at times, confusing. Many of the parts were badly molded or misformed causing me additional work to make or fiddle-fit parts into place. It is really a tiny model that caused me an additional day of work because so much of it poorly made.

As a result, this tail-sitting tur..poop is my latest contribution to our Hall of Shame and isn't something I would recommend to build.

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com

RS Models 1/72: Flettner Fl 282 B-0 (Kit # 92110)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1