The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Azur Models: 1/72 LeO C-30 autogyro (Kit # 015)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Azur Models: 1/72 LeO C-30 autogyro (Kit # 015)   Mon Feb 20 2017, 09:27

[NOTE - COPIED FROM THE TMWCF - Originally posted by Propwash]

This review is for the Azur Models + TMA (whatever that means) plastic kit of the French Liore et Olivier (LeO) C-30 autogyro. The model is in 1/72 scale and is my first Azur Models build.

The LeO C-30

The LeO C-30 is a French license-built version of the Spanish Cierva C-30 autogyro.  The Cierva C-30 was first flown in 1933. Within the next few years the design would see service in the Spanish military as well as in England (RAF), France (Armee de l`Air) and Germany (Luftwaffe) being built under license. The C-30 would be used for liaison, scouting, and artillery spotting duties.

Liore et Olivier built twenty-five aircraft in France. All would be captured or destroyed by the Fall of France in 1940.

Specifications (from Wikipedia)

General characteristics

Crew: 1
   Length: 19 ft 8 in (6 m)
   Height: 11 ft 1 in (3.38 m)
   Empty weight: 1,220 lb (553 kg)
   Gross weight: 1,600 lb (726 kg)
   Powerplant: 1 × Armstrong Siddeley Genet Major IA 7-cyl. air-cooled radial piston engine, 140 hp (100 kW)
   Main rotor diameter: 37 ft 0 in (11.28 m)
   Main rotor area: 1,100 sq ft (100 m2)

Performance

Maximum speed: 96 kn; 177 km/h (110 mph)
   Cruise speed: 83 kn; 153 km/h (95 mph)
   Rate of climb: 700 ft/min (3.6 m/s)

The Kit

Azur is a model company in the Czech Republic. The kit is from the 2001/2002 and is my first build from this company. The contents consist of one sprue tree containing the plastic parts, a separate bag containing the resin parts (engine, rotor hub, exhaust pipes, exhaust collector), and a bag with the vacu-formed windshields and decals. And the instructions.

The instructions are not to bad contain instructions in English. The illustrations are generally good although fall short on the engine assembly. Paint callouts are also okay.

The plastic sprue tree, containing the majority of parts to assemble the model, was a mess. Giant attachment points were placed on the most fragile of parts (in multiples too!). And the flash - LOTS of it.  :/

The resin parts were also sub-par with bad casting, flash, and they were quite fragile.

The vacu-formed winshields were horrible and required you to cut them out. The rear cockpit windshield at least had what looked to be a frame to follow while cutting. The front was nothing more than a smooth half-sphere that you had to guess what/how to cut correctly. Mad

The decals were the best part of the kit. They were bright, nicely printed, and of workable thickness.

Assembly

Assembly was not to bad with my biggest complaints directed against the poor molding of the parts (required lots of cleaning and other prep work), and some overly complicated / engineered work on the engine and landing gear. While the cockpits were all but devoid of any detail, the engine had lots of tiny resin exhaust pipes to free from the resin block and clean before you tried gluing them onto the engine. I tried my hand at one before throwing the whole lot into the bin (thing is, you would be hard-pressed to see them anyway as they are behind the exhaust collector). The landing gear was also a treat with six separate parts, all of which are butt-fitted, having to come together in a scaffold-like construction.

I think my language grew a bit colorful at this point in the assembly.  frustrated Oh, and I had to drill holes in the fuselage using my best guesses as to their location since they were not done very well at the factory.

Somehow I managed to get this little freak together into something which actually looks close to the box-art. Rolling Eyes

Conclusion

Much like the Pavla model I reviewed earlier, this Azur kit was not a good introduction to this manufacturer. This is an early kit so I am hoping that later releases will have improved (I hope so as I have a really cool airplane from them in my stash). This is not as bad as the RS Models Fiesler `copter I built, but was close enough to warrant inclusion into our Hall of Shame.

I will end with my saying this will be my last foray into early helicopter models. I've suffered enough. ;-)

Also, I believe Migrant also purchased this kit and I look forward to seeing what he is able to do with it.  Ok2

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com

Azur Models: 1/72 LeO C-30 autogyro (Kit # 015)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1