The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:18

[NOTE - This thread was copied from TMWCF and was originally started by Hornchurch]

Well, I'd promised Allan I'd get round to it eventually ~ (Finally)

I'm gonna base this thread along the (exact) same line we have running within our "Revell" discussion thread ~ namely...

Within this thread let's keep on topic & discuss  AIRFIX kits in general

(PLEASE NOTE BELOW)

If ya built kits you wanna show, we already have an area for that.

This thread will be for General discussion only

By that, I mean anyone wanting to acquire or discuss
AIRFIX kits or chat on AIRFIX nostalgia...

Kits, markings, box-art, re-boxed or deleted kits, etc
)..... that kinda thing....

To "kick off" this thread, I'm gonna post my very own AIRFIX catalogues that survived from the 1970's

They survived thru the rigours of time to the current day (2014) along with numerous of my other Commando comics
(also 1970's)

Like I say, I treasured these, even back in the day, so, they're NOT just 'blagged' from the internet at random.

Like me, I guess some of you guys were inspired by the 'classic' Roy Cross box artwork that made those kits sell like hot-cakes ?

"Selling the image" was all important back then & they were responsible for launching youngster's imaginations.

Me personally, I cannot even begin to explain or quantify as to just how important AIRFIX were to me....
(in terms of, it got me into aviation BIG TIME & sparked a lifelong interest that remains to this day)

ALL of those Airshows, kits, books, decals & derelict WW.II base visits stem from my (sheer) love of AIRFIX as a kid.
Anyways, enough of me rattling on as to what led to me spending hours on windswept airfields !

Meantime, to kick the thread off, here's my own (scanned) original kit catalogues from the 1970's

Here's the front cover of the AIRFIX 11th Edition dating from 1974

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  

img817 - Airfix catalogue, 11th Edition, (1974) by  on Flickr

img813 - 1974 Airfix catalogue, 11th Edition, by , on Flickr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Compare the 11th Edition from 1974 (above) ~ & ~ 13th Edition from 1976 (below)

img818 - Airfix catalogue, 13th Edition by,  on Flickr

img820 by, on Flickr

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:25

[Originally posted by DCRanger]

Like so many others Airfix played a large part in my youth. I think my first attempt was the original Airfix Spitfire in the clear plastic hanging bag and blue plastic. It taught me many things including how to be sneaky. I had so many models, many of them collecting cobwebs that I was banned from buying more. It's not easy carring a rattling box past other family members, building, painting it and placing it carefully amongst the other models where there was least chance of it being noticed. I have to laugh when I read about other lads sneaking diecast into the house without the strife noticing.

Airfix also had a part in the early stages of learning to shoot. I had a mate who was one of those clever lads and his parents had money. His dad had a BSA air rifle which my mate was allowed to use. What he wasn't allowed to do was mix his dad's weed killer and sugar with whatever the third ingredient was to make gunpowder. This was used to fill damaged models and then shoot at it. Of course we never managed to make an explosion however many times we hit it and in the end resorted to a match.

Later when I became a responsible(?) adult I got my two lads interested and we had good times with Airfix. The older one was particularly good. These days I don't do any but wish I did. I bought this Fairey Battle two or three years ago but just can't get motivated to apply glue to plastic.

Can I sneak this Airfix coaster in here I wonder.

dragon
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:27

[Originally posted by Hornchurch]

DCRanger wrote:

Like so many others Airfix played a large part in my youth. I think my first attempt was the original Airfix Spitfire in the clear plastic hanging bag and blue plastic. It taught me many things including how to be sneaky. I had so many models, many of them collecting cobwebs that I was banned from buying more. It's not easy carring a rattling box past other family members, building, painting it and placing it carefully amongst the other models where there was least chance of it being noticed. I have to laugh when I read about other lads sneaking diecast into the house without the strife noticing.

Airfix also had a part in the early stages of learning to shoot. I had a mate who was one of those clever lads and his parents had money. His dad had a BSA air rifle which my mate was allowed to use. What he wasn't allowed to do was mix his dad's weed killer and sugar with whatever the third ingredient was to make gunpowder. This was used to fill damaged models and then shoot at it. Of course we never managed to make an explosion however many times we hit it and in the end resorted to a match.

Later when I became a responsible(?) adult I got my two lads interested and we had good times with Airfix. The older one was particularly good. These days I don't do any but wish I did. I bought this Fairey Battle two or three years ago but just can't get motivated to apply glue to plastic.

Can I sneak this Airfix coaster in here I wonder ?

'

Why, yes of course you can D.C.R. !!!!!!!!!

That's PRECISELY the kinda ingredient we want "in the mix".

Such a cool (& unexpected) Airfix product that, when they first came out !

About six (or so) years ago I was chatting with Upkeep/Chris & we were discussing their release.
I don't think he was able to obtain them (initially) in Canada, but I'd imagine a few Canuck dealers sell 'em now....
(via E-bay)

I didn't see 'em till my 2011 visit to Waddington Airshow (old-hat, by then), so I bought a few.
In actual fact, one of my "initial uploads" within that SET (on Flickr) along with my catalogues, is a coaster.
I bought x 4 = two 1/24th P.51 Mustang "This Is It" coasters, 1 x Beaufighter & a Stirling, which I uploaded !

I'll save that for (much) later into the thread, so folks can "chime in" at will with photo's, type, or anecdotes.
I like to give a thread "breathing space", rather than an avalanche of 40-400 pix :mrgreen:
(If Allan's reading this, I hope he's chuckling !!!!!!!)

That way, folks CAN interact with each & every post ("if" they wish to do so), rather than be swamped !
(trust me, it was VERY tempting to post the rest of the catalogues, plus their interiors in one hit)

That Fairey Swordfish mat/coaster is a proper iconic job, eh ?

Did you particularly single that one out, or, was it just by chance at a model fair, or airshow ?

dragon
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:29

[Originally posted by Shuttle]

I remember the excitement when the catalogue used to be published or the models were listed in the modelling mags of that era (mainly Scale Models). I used to scan over the releases and plan purchases (or the ones my Dad would be getting). What was great was the variety of scales and subjects. The Space Shuttle, RAF rescue launch, multi-pose 1/32 figures, the Black Prince, Old Bill Bus, HMS Belfast and the Space 1999 Eagle and Hawk. They were all purchased and built plus many more. Great days.

It is good to see that Airfix are still surprising us and producing some great new kits. The TSR-2 (both scales) and Bomber resupply set are two favourites and I have some 1/48 modern British Army armour in the 'stash'.....!

:grin: Shuttle

dragon
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:30

WOW! After all that time this thread is finally here! Who'da thunk it? Rolling Eyes

Yes Kevin, I was chuckling at your "considerate" restraint towards saving my poor old eyesight and general lack of attention. I'm so easily visually over stimulated now days! Just putting images on a few at a time allows one to read, study, think, and then comment. Too many at one time just overwhelms the senses.

I am really thrilled that you posted this thread. When I was growing up, Airfix kits were not readily available. I didn't get into these kits until I was 13 years old or so and my dad drove me to a hobby shop in the next town over. After years frequenting the local drug store and its limited stock of Aurora, Monogram, and Revell kits, finally seeing the Roy Cross artwork and a whole new and up to then unheard off selection of models was a breath of fresh air.

Soon I was a true convert. Between the Airfix kits and the MPC knock-offs, I built some fun kits that today I can buy and build again. Not up to the high standards of the newer Japanese kits, Airfix kits still build up into nice models.

I really regret getting rid of my one and only Airfix catalog - the 1976, 13th edition pictured in your thread. I spent many long hours going through that catalog and dreaming. Good memories you have invoked.

dragon
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:31

[Originally posted by pmmaker]

Built a few Airfix kits over time.  Some of my favorites were:

This one is in my pile staring at me just waiting to be started as I type this:

I still buy an Airfix kit as the mood strikes me.  Got several 72nd scale WWI planes in the pile too.

dragon
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:34

pmmaker wrote:
Built a few Airfix kits over time.  Some of my favorites were:

This one is in my pile staring at me just waiting to be started as I type this:

I still buy an Airfix kit as the mood strikes me.  Got several 72nd scale WWI planes in the pile too.
'

Hey you, we coulda done with those "one at a time" there   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  ;-)

Plenty of (metaphorical)  "meat on the bone" to chew on, pour over & discuss with even this first 24hrs alone  ;-)

Precisely what we needed to kick-start a "famous name brand" thread !

Both Admin' (Allan's) and Shuttle's reminiscences (surely echoing many of ours ?)

Airfix Fairey Swordfish
AND those 'funky' Airfix drinks coasters....
Airfix Fairey Battle  (so cool, that kit & subject of one of Bret's threads....

Plus those three (four?) memorable kits you've also dropped in our laps PMM  ;-)

Love it  ~  special place in my heart for those EXACT (same) kits AND "Box Art" = 1, & 3,

= (Airfix Ki-46 & Airfix B.25 in it's multiple forms !)

Those two box artworks alone just "slay" me !!!!!!!!!

Damn, I even HAVE (own, bought) the one you've shown (#3) = bought again, this century....

Same Box-Art & kit, purely for nostalgia reasons    =  Heck, it's in my back-bedroom cupboard as we speak !

Strewth ; I make that TEN topics for starters.....

(that's everything above, including the catalogues...)

Which one we gonna discuss first then ?  
 (Laughs, love it)
_

dragon
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:36

Hey Hornchurch,

Let's start with the first kit. The gray Dinah I had about 35 years ago. It has since been re-released a few times. The newest reincarnation has a stunning paint scheme.

I remember the kit being very basic and easy to put together. There was no cockpit detail and the landing gear struts were plastic poles with balloon tires. Based on today's standard, the old kit was as bare bones as a kit could get. But at the time, it was a rare Japanese plane that no one else had done and the price was affordable.

I'm not sure if I'd buy one of the new releases, but if I ever get in the mood for something different, I'd buy it again.

dragon
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:39

pmmaker wrote:

Hey Hornchurch,

Let's start with the first kit.  The gray Dinah I had about 35 years ago.  
It has since been re-released a few times.  
The newest reincarnation has a stunning paint scheme.

I remember the kit being very basic and easy to put together.  There was no cockpit detail and the landing gear struts were plastic poles with balloon tires.  Based on today's standard, the old kit was as bare bones as a kit could get.  But at the time, it was a rare Japanese plane that no one else had done and the price was affordable.  

I'm not sure if I'd buy one of the new releases
but if I ever get in the mood for something different, I'd buy it again.
'

Interesting call, that particular point of discussion..... (in amongst the many we'll have)

First-off, when you said "about 35 years ago", I blanched....

You see, I built mine (my 'one & only') in the "Type.3 Red Stripe Box-Art" whilst watching Peyton Place

Oh Lord above, that makes me sound damned old, mind you tho', it musta been a re-run....  Embarassed  Crying or Very sad  ;-)

Yeah, it really was a da-y-um long, long time ago & def' one of my first kits  ~
(bought by my Mother out of Woolworths, Chadwell Heath)

I know "the first four" (Airfix kits) that I ever built & this wasn't in them, but may have come 6th/7th/8th.

A damn long time ago & all I remember (about the kit) was the Grey plastic & the leaping Tiger (tail decal)

OR RATHER SHOULD I SAY  =   WATER-SLIDE "TRANSFER" as the written instructions said !

That wuz back in the day, when the instructions had GREAT clarity & were written in PLAIN ENGLISH ~
None of this multi-lingual "sign-only-no-text" rubbish  ~  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

Of course, the Box-Artwork was FAR more memorable.....

I'll ALWAYS remember how damn-handsome & elegant that plane was/is, HOWEVER =

As I remarked in a (forgotten) thread approx' a year ago, my NEXT Dinah was an "ugli-mug"  Embarassed

http://tmwcf.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=845

Pretty inexplicable that the mighty Tamiya corporation failed (in epic fashion) to take up the 'handsome' version....
(Ken, help me here mate  ~  I dunno which "Kai" version that was/is ~ I plead ignorance )

Some bitter irony at this point....

The much more (vastly more) newly-tooled Tamiya 1/48th kit (initial release = the one I've shown), was ONLY (ever) fetching a lowly (paltry) ten quid, as in a tenner all day long  (£10.00 = $16.00)

I know, I remember taking mine (for which I'd paid £10.00) to the following year's London "Southern Expo" show.

Tried punting it out (mint, unmade, sealed) for the same money I'd paid.... (just to recoup)
THOUSANDS of "Southern Expo" visitors from all over the world.... Do you think I could sell it ??????
Not on your life (!), not even at a lowly, paltry £10.00 !!!!!!!!!

Tried Saturday, no-luck  ~  tried Sunday & for six hours, nothing....
Then, during the afternoon, on the show's second day, a guy came to our club stand & bought it.
 It was as MINT as you'll ever find, as mint as if it were on Hannants shelves....
 (& they couldn't shift their 2nd-hand examples at the old Colindale shop, same reason)

Just that "no-one" seemed to want it, here in the U.K.

(You just couldn't GIVE 'em away ~ They were like a dose of bubonic-plague !)

So, "why" do I mention that latter fact & point of (circa 1999/2000/2001) info' ?

Because laughably, around the turn of this century, you could pick-up a superbly engineered Tamiya Ki-46 for peanuts (£10.00 - $16.00)
  =    which I'm hazarding an (educated) guess  ~  is either "less",  OR "a damn sight less" than what folks are now paying today for this re-released FORTY PLUS YEAR OLD AIRFIX KIT with FAR less detail & build quality than it's Tamiya 1/48th "new tooling" counterpart did  =   barely 12-14  years ago !!!!!!!!

Modellers over here..... we're a funny ol' bunch (or, some are  ;-) ) here in the U.K.

dragon
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:41

[Originally posted by martel69]

Great thread Mr. H !! Airfix, what can you say? The boxes and artwork were so enticing but unfortunately my poor modelling technique was all too apparent from an early age so Dad would often (always!) come to the rescue. The mixture of nicotine, polystyrene cement, paint and white spirit across the kitchen table may explain a lot !!!! First few kits were 'bag' style from the local 'Woolworths' (won't mention the 'Husky' cars Kev!) namely the Hawker Demon, BP Defiant, Fiat G.50 and the Saunders Roe SR.53 !!!! (I think my Dad liked the more unusual subjects!!!) and then progressed on to the 'sexy' jets, Mirage, Lightning, Hunter, Mig 21, Mystere, G.91, Vigilante etc.) Christmas, Birthdays and holidays would mean some 'specials' such as the Stirling, HP.400, VC10, B29 etc. and in between I'd pick up various types with my pocket money. Great days indeed :grin:
'Best' of my builds were the Canberra, Sabre Dog and SM.79 and I still have many in my parents loft which despite their forlorn condition I cannot bear to part with. Memories and nostalgia do some great and funny things.........and Airfix were and still are a big part of it
PS Kev, I remember 'watching' the original Peyton Place (somebody famous was in that.....Ryan O'Neal???) and how about the Newcomers before Top of the Pops? (No Saville jokes please!!!)

dragon
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:44

[Originally posted by DCRanger]

I remember building the Dinah when it was first released. Very exotic for for me and a lovely model. I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't been done in diecast.

dragon
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:48

[Originally posted by Martel69]

The Dinah was one on the 'wants' list that for whatever reason evaded me, just like many of the others unfortunately.....including the Black Widow and He177 !!! Loved the 'Dogfight Doubles' too, especially the WW1 sets.

dragon
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:49

2nd kit in my post was the Douglas A-1H Skyraider I lovingly built as a kid. Painted in the same VA-176 scheme that HM used for their first Skyraider diecast, I had this one in my collection for quite a few years.

When I got back into collecting warbird models, I came really close to buying this kit and building it again. I remembered the rockets and bombs as being a pain to finish correctly. There was quite a bit of molding flash and sanding them was a chore. Still the finished product was fairly nice. I'm glad I bought the Hobby Master model though.

And yes, I did build the original Dinah with the all gray scheme and that really cool looking leaping tiger on the tail. Loved that scheme a lot.

dragon
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:50

[Originally posted by Snake]

Airfix and Commando comics. Cool

A blast from my British past.

Airfix were THE British plastic kit maker, but also remember Frog, and Revell. The box art was something special, and the kits challenging enough for a young kid. They were basically all I built back in the early 70's, and got me started in this type of hobby, which I still love.

My favourite kit would be the 1/24 scale Spitfire, which turned out quite well. The biggest kit I had done, and I put a lot of love and time into doing it well. As well as can be expected from an 8 year old. lol.

When we came to Canada, Airfix was hard to find, and it was all Revell, Monogram, and Aurora. Later, when I got good at modelling, went for Tamiya, and Hasegawa, but always will have a special spot for Airfix.

The box art still resonates with me. And know I am not alone in this.

Cool

dragon
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread   Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:52

Snake wrote:
Airfix and Commando comics. Cool

A blast from my British past.

Airfix were THE British plastic kit maker, but also remember Frog, and Revell. The box art was something special, and the kits challenging enough for a young kid. They were basically all I built back in the early 70's, and got me started in this type of hobby, which I still love.

My favourite kit would be the 1/24 scale Spitfire, which turned out quite well. The biggest kit I had done, and I put a lot of love and time into doing it well. As well as can be expected from an 8 year old. lol.

When we came to Canada, Airfix was hard to find, and it was all Revell, Monogram, and Aurora. Later, when I got good at modelling, went for Tamiya, and Hasegawa, but always will have a special spot for Airfix.

The box art still resonates with me. And know I am not alone in this.

Cool

It's funny Snake how similar yet different our experiences are.

Like you, I started out with the lower end kits. But growing up here in the United States, Revell, Monogram, and Aurora were the primary companies available. Airfix came later on when I had access to a hobby shop. Then as I got older such as yourself, I transitioned to the higher-end kits.

Today I don't build to the same intensity and standard I did years ago. I enjoy the Airfix kits much more today than I did when I was a younger builder. As I build for fun and relaxation, the imperfections and lack of fine details are actually a bit of a blessing. Also the internet has opened up a source for all those old Airfix classics I wanted to build as a kid, but I could never find or afford.

The cover artwork is of course a draw. At one time I was toying with the idea of starting a scrapbook with all the cover art from my kits. But I have so many books, kits, and other collected items cluttering up the art studio that I decided not to do it.

dragon
Back to top Go down

AIRFIX - The Nostalgic "AIRFIX" discussion thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next