The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

K&B (Aurora) Albatros C.III Revisited - Documented Build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: K&B (Aurora) Albatros C.III Revisited - Documented Build   Mon Feb 20 2017, 11:35

Another revisit of an old K&B (Aurora) WWI airplane kit built several times by our friend Mike (SpectreNav) over the past couple of years.

http://tmwcf.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=1526

I wanted to try my hand at it to see what I could do with it using my techniques and skills. I also figured I'd do a step-by-step documented build from start to finish.

My posts are based on my "sessions" working on this kit. For me, a session can be anything ranging from 30 minutes to several hours where I actively worked on some aspect of this kit.

If you don't want to read through all my posts and follow my build, just skip to the end to see the completed build.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: K&B (Aurora) Albatros C.III Revisited - Documented Build   Mon Feb 20 2017, 11:35

Session I: 4.5 hours
I decided that for this plane, I would use the kit decals (as they are in almost pristine condition) and follow the scheme shown on the box.

The only nod I'd make towards artistic license would be to lozenge camouflage the underneath surfaces (wings, horizontal tail surfaces) with a hand painted pattern. I could buy decals for this, but I didn't want to spend the money when I could just paint my own.

The first step was to paint the underside surfaces a light blue.

Once the light blue dried, I hand measured the vertical lines I would need for the lozenge pattern.

Next I used some acrylic paint to lay out the basic color pattern I would follow. I decided to go with a five color pattern consisting of: hippo gray, antique white, crushed coral, the underlying light blue and sage green. I drew the diagonal rhombus shape and painted each rhombus by hand.

Once the initial row was painted, I started the next course. I moved each color down one horizontal level from the previous level and alternated the orientation of the rhombus.

I continued adding courses until I had a lower wing done.

Once the wing was done, I masked off the area where the crosses would be placed. I then spray painted the white block and when dry, I placed the decal. I then repeated this process for the second lower wing until I had both wings done. So ended session one.

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: K&B (Aurora) Albatros C.III Revisited - Documented Build   Mon Feb 20 2017, 11:36

Session II: 5 hours

Session II was a continuation of session I. I had to continue applying the lozenge camouflage to the under surface of the top wing and the horizontal tail surfaces. At this stage, the painting progressed rather quickly and I was able to have my lozenge pattern completed in a couple of days.

Next would be the painting of the upper surfaces.

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: K&B (Aurora) Albatros C.III Revisited - Documented Build   Mon Feb 20 2017, 11:37

Session III: 4.5 hours

Session III focused on painting the upper surfaces of the plane. I used Krylon Ivory White spray and painted the upper surfaces of the upper and lower wings and the horizontal tail surfaces. I also painted the tail and fuselage. I also masked off the top wing so I could paint the white area for the crosses.

I set these pieces aside to dry and started working on my crew figures. I used a resin pilot and the kit supplied rear observer. I used various shades of brown to paint the helmets, pants and coats. Flesh for the faces with a wash of watered down brown to bring out facial details enhanced the figures. I used a khaki color for the googles and applied a tiny drop of model cement to make the lenses for each figure's googles.

lastly I painted the engine parts. For these I used Tamiya gun metal, and Testors copper, brass, and jet exhaust.

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: K&B (Aurora) Albatros C.III Revisited - Documented Build   Mon Feb 20 2017, 11:37

Session IV: 1.5 hours

Session IV consisted of my assembling the engine and the cockpit. I painted the inner fuselage a dark brown. I also painted each part and when dry glued them into the fuselage as per the kit instructions. I painted the instrument dials on the instrument panel. The engine was assembled as well.

Once all these parts were dry enough to be safely handled, I carefully assembled the fuselage halves, making sure I carefully aligned all the sub-assemblies.

Once the halves were aligned, I added some modeling putty along the join lines and put the model aside to dry overnight.

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: K&B (Aurora) Albatros C.III Revisited - Documented Build   Mon Feb 20 2017, 11:38

Session V: 4.5 Hours

Session V focused on finishing the fuselage. First I carefully sanded the join seams with a course sandpaper. Once the seams were uniform, I gave them a light sanding with a very fine sand paper. The I buffed the seams using a soft cotton rag to get a clean, smooth uniform surface for painting.

I then painted the upper fuselage decking using a dark charcoal gray. Once the gray was dry, I masked off the gray and then touched up the ivory white with several thin coats of spray.

Once the paint had dried, I removed the tape and put the model aside to further dry.

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: K&B (Aurora) Albatros C.III Revisited - Documented Build   Mon Feb 20 2017, 11:38

Session VI: 3.75 hours

This session really moved the build along. Using a sharp hobby knife, I drilled the holes in the fuselage to apply the control cables. I also drilled holes in the rudder and the horizontal tail surfaces. Next I glued the lower wings and the tail control surfaces to the fuselage and let them dry.

Using some stretched sprue, I created the attachment points for the cables and glued them to the control surfaces. I also cut and positioned the tail control surfaces and added a set of scratch built braces to the tail. Now I used some 0.015 music wire cut to size to create the control wires and glued them to the plane.

Finally I added the fuselage cabane struts and the wing support spars. The whole model was now left to dry.

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: K&B (Aurora) Albatros C.III Revisited - Documented Build   Mon Feb 20 2017, 11:39

Session VII: 2.5 Hours

Top wing time! I carefully located and glued the upper wing. Things did not go well as the struts did not align correctly and the cabane struts were too high. I had to remove the cabane struts and then glued the upper wing to the struts. The whole assembly was very unstable and I had to cut and reglue the cabane struts individually.

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: K&B (Aurora) Albatros C.III Revisited - Documented Build   Mon Feb 20 2017, 11:40

Session VIII: 5 Hours

Time to rig. This session took a bit of time as I had to cut and glue each piece of rigging individually. Using the box art, I was able to add the rigging. I started with the strut cross braces.

Then I progressed to the wings and landing gear struts rigging.

A final addition of fine details: painted the tail skid, glued on the wheels and propeller, added the rear facing gun and observer and the model was finally done!

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: K&B (Aurora) Albatros C.III Revisited - Documented Build   Mon Feb 20 2017, 11:40

FINAL PHOTOS! The completed build for your enjoyment.

And the close ups so you can see the detailing I put into this one.

Hand painted lozenge on the undersides:

K&B (Aurora) Albatros C.III Revisited - Documented Build
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1