The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

1:72 Minicraft Lockheed Ventura PV-1 Gunship

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: 1:72 Minicraft Lockheed Ventura PV-1 Gunship   Mon Feb 20 2017, 11:46

I purchased this kit about two years ago and never quite got around to building it. In fact, I even tried to sell it off on ebay. I had a few lookers, but no one was willing to buy it. Finally, since I had a week off from work this week, I decided to pull it out of the 'stash" bin and give it a go. Turned out to be a fun and rewarding build.

HISTORY:

The Lockheed PV-1 Ventura was developed as a result of an agreement between the Navy and the USAAF in mid 1942. The Navy was looking for an aircraft to fill the role of a long range, land based reconnaissance and patrol aircraft that could carry a substantial bomb payload.

Lockheed was producing a version designated as the B-34/B-37 Ventura.

In 1942, the Navy version began production at the Lockheed Vega plant in Burbank, California and would be designated as the PV-1 Ventura. Early production PV-1s still carried a bombardier's station behind the nose radome, with four side windows and a flat bomb-aiming panel underneath the nose. Late production PV-1s dispensed with this bombardier position and replaced it with a pack with three 0.50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns underneath the nose. These aircraft could also carry eight 5 in (127 mm) HVAR rockets on launchers underneath the wings.

The first PV-1 flew on November 3, 1942. The Navy received its first Ventura in December of 1942. They began Naval service on February 1, 1943.

The first squadron to receive the new PV-1 was VB-127 stationed at NAS Deland, Florida.

The PV-1 saw its first combat duty in the Aleutians in April 1943 assigned to VP-135. They conducted reconnaissance patrols and strikes against the Japanese islands in the Kurile chain.

The PV-1 also served for a short time as a Marine Corps night fighter assigned to VMFA(N)531 operating in the Solomon Islands in September 1943.

The PV-2 Harpoon was a major redesign of the Ventura with the wing area increased from 551 ft² (51.2 m²) to 686 ft² (63.7 m²) giving an increased load-carrying capability, and which first flew on 3 December 1943. The motivation for redesign was weaknesses in the PV-1, which had shown itself to have problems in taking off when carrying a full load of fuel. On the PV-2, the armament became standardized at five forward-firing machine guns. Many early PV-1s had a bombardier's position, which was deleted in the PV-2. Some other significant developments included the increase of the bomb load by 30% to 4,000 lb (1,800 kg), and the ability to carry eight 5-inch (127 mm) HVAR rockets under the wings.

While the PV-2 was expected to have increased range and better takeoff, the anticipated speed statistics were projected lower than those of the PV-1, due to the use of the same engines but an increase in weight. The Navy ordered 500 examples, designating them with the popular name Harpoon.

Eventually, the wing problems were fixed, and the PV-2 proved reliable, and eventually popular. It was first used in the Aleutians by VP-139, one of the squadrons that originally used the PV-1. It was used by a number of countries after the war’s end, but the United States ceased ordering new PV-2s, and they were all soon retired from service.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: 1:72 Minicraft Lockheed Ventura PV-1 Gunship   Mon Feb 20 2017, 11:46

Minicraft Lockeed Ventura PV-1 Gunship

The kit:

This is an excellent kit put out by Minicraft. The kit has 42 parts and comes with four parts sprues that are lettered and numbered. All the parts are crisply molded and go together rather nicely. The only putty work I needed to do was on the fuselage join line just to eliminate the join. There was no flash and everything went together easily.

No Mike, luckily for me there are no crew figures to clutter up a very detail cockpit area.

The instructions were vintage Hasegawa with diagrams and small notes. The Microscale decals were a problem as once they were immersed in water, they just disintegrated - bummer as the octopus scheme would have been really fun!. I wish I had known this beforehand so I could have over sprayed them with clear spray. Luckily, I had many suitable decals in the spares box that I could use to correctly represent a Navy PV-1.

The model was spray painted using white, a light aqua blue, and flat sea blue. All rigging was done using EZ-Line.

Overall, I had fun enjoying my week off and building this very unusual aircraft.

pmmaker

Some artistic touches - black & white circa 1942:

1:72 Minicraft Lockheed Ventura PV-1 Gunship
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1