The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Documented Build: 1/72 AMT Ju 88 C-4/C-6 Finland Winter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Documented Build: 1/72 AMT Ju 88 C-4/C-6 Finland Winter   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:12

Inspired by Mike's trifecta build of his AMT Ju 88s in 48th scale, I have started building a kit of this versatile warbird for my own collection.

For this build, I am using the AMT/ERTL 1/72nd scale version:

The kit offers markings and parts for three versions of the Ju 88, a winter C-6, a nightfighter C-4, and an all black C-6. I've decided to go with the winter day attack aircraft:

So far I've just started painting the wings and tail surfaces. I'm trying my hand with spray cans and I'm having mixed results. The instructions call for a "dirty white" topside. I'm using ivory which sprayed on pretty well. The light blue under surface looks nice, but one wing has bubbles and I need to sand it down a bit. Hence why I generally avoid spray cans!

Next I'll add the green camouflage to the upper surfaces and canopy. I'm not going to document the build like my last one, but I will post every so often to show my progress.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: 1/72 AMT Ju 88 C-4/C-6 Finland Winter   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:12

I've got the preliminary painting of the upper and lower wings, horizontal tails, and vertical tail done. This way I can judge what the entire finished model might look like. I also gave the fuselage halves a spray.

I hope to start the preliminary painting of the cockpit parts, engines, and landing gear sometime this weekend and then I'll start building the model. I think it will look okay once it is built and decaled. Should be a few weeks until done.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: 1/72 AMT Ju 88 C-4/C-6 Finland Winter   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:13

I've done a bit of work on this one this morning. I've got the cockpit interior built and the fuselage is primed for it to be glued in.

I was able to complete and paint the outer engines. My goal was to get a "feathered" edge between the upper white and lower blue which I did. I added exhaust just in case I decide against using the kit supplied exhaust covers. Propellers and spinners came out great.

The canopy framing and the gondola have been masked and painted and are ready for use.

The wings are almost done. I just have to build and attach the lower engine/wheel well pods and then add the decals so I can finish the staining and weathering.

Hope to get a bit more done this weekend.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: 1/72 AMT Ju 88 C-4/C-6 Finland Winter   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:13

I spent a couple hours getting this one closer to completion.

Got the fuselage decaled. Used the decals for the fake glass nose, but they didn't work exactly as advertised, so I had to touch up a few, and had to hand paint some of the fake window panes. Didn't turn out too bad.

Almost done with both wings. Totally grunged up both top and bottom surfaces with the pastels and a light wash and all the decals are set. The wheels need to dry and then I'll be attaching the completed wings to the fuselage.

Once the wings are attached and dry, I need to add one last antenna to the fuselage, the under wing dive brakes, and the antenna wiring using the E-Z Line.

Should be done and ready for pictures by Sunday (hopefully).

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: 1/72 AMT Ju 88 C-4/C-6 Finland Winter   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:14

Well the final details are done and this model is finally finished. Three and half weeks appears to be my normal time-frame to get something like this plane done to my satisfaction. Hope it passes everyone's muster.

First some general shots:

I spent quite a bit of time getting the bottom really grungy:

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: 1/72 AMT Ju 88 C-4/C-6 Finland Winter   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:15

The Germans painted "fake" glass panels on the nose to mimic a bomber so fighters would attempt a "frontal" attack and get surprised by the ground attack nose guns. AMT represented these fake panels with decals. The decals were partially successful as they tended to fall apart once immersed in water. Whenever needed, I touched up the decals to make the fake bomber nose:

Lastly a few close ups of the engines and canopy. AMT gives you the directional finder as a clear piece, which I was thankful for as I really didn't want to have to draw one. All rigging is through using E-Z Line.

This was a very nice model to build. Instructions were fairly accurate and consisted of a series of plan drawings showing where the parts go. As with most kits that allow you to build multiple versions of an aircraft, there was a bit of ambiguity between the cover art work and the instruction sheet when optional parts were called for. Here I relied on the instruction sheet as much as possible.

Cockpit detail was very well done and the kit did not come with any crew figures.

The decals were usable, but the faux glass panes tended to fall apart hence why I needed to paint them in. Most of the larger decals were fine.

Painting was done through use of an off white/ivory paint. As this was my first "spray" job in a long time, quite a bit of experimentation and learning had to occur. Still, the overall experience was a pleasurable one and I look forward to building more AMT/Italeri kits in the future.

pmmaker

Documented Build: 1/72 AMT Ju 88 C-4/C-6 Finland Winter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1