The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Lindberg 1:48 Gloster Gladiator Mk.I

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Lindberg 1:48 Gloster Gladiator Mk.I   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:17

Manufacturer: Lindberg

Scale: 1:48

Decals / Markings: One set of “rub on” markings for a Gladiator Mk.I from 'A' Flight, 73 Squadron, RAF Debden, Essex, September 1937

Model: Gladiator Mk.I, K7903 of 80 Sqn., Ismailia, Spring 1939

Modeler’s Notes:

1) This model was so much fun to build! Parts were highly detailed, crisply molded, and went together very easily with little filling or sanding needed. Surface detail is lightly raised and includes the wavy texture of a fabric covered aircraft.

2) The upper wing comes in three sections: a center span and the two outer panels. This makes assembly simple. You can attach the upper center section to the fuselage supports. Then once dry, you can glue the outer supports and outer wing panels together to the center section.

3) A fairly detailed cockpit that includes a floor with rudder pedals, a seat, an instrument panel, a control column, rear decking, and one of the most detailed pilot figures I’ve ever worked on. The pilot comes in 4 pieces: torso, 2 arms, legs. There is a way to cut out the door on the port side which I did not do. The kit supplies two sets of canopy parts: a closed canopy and a front wind screen and open main canopy.

4) Exhaust staining achieved through slight application of Tamiya pastels. All rigging was done using thin florist wire cut to size and glued in place.

5) The kit's markings come as a rub-on sheet. Unfortunately, the markings were unusable due to age and I had to use 3rd party decals. I found an ILIAD sheet featuring Gladiators in North Africa. I painted the entire model with different shades of silver and flat aluminum. Once decaled, the model was over sprayed with Dullcote.

Paints:Testors silver, flat aluminum, copper, semi-gloss black, rubber, gloss red, Testors Dullcote

Pictures:

The decal sheet I used by ILIAD Design:

The completed build:

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg 1:48 Gloster Gladiator Mk.I   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:18

Last weekend I finished my second kit of my Lindberg trifecta. This one is a Mk.II painted in standard camouflage colors. The kit's painting guide (and box cover) showed a yellow underside with diagonal black stripes. Unfortunately, the identification of the unit was nowhere to be found. I'm assuming these markings are for a training squadron, but I'm not sure as my knowledge of RAF units couldn't fill a thimble.

Decals are those provided by the kit. I used Testor Model Master paints. I cut out the side door to the cockpit and used RAF interior green.

What I like about these Lindberg kits is that you can make it out of the box and have a nice model, or you can add as much 3rd party detailing as you want. I'm not into spending large amounts of money for a level of details I don't want nor will appreciate. Unlike my younger days when I spent months building the "perfect" model, I build for enjoyment now so less is definitely more.

Yes Kevin, the Iliad decals were a bit pricey, but I've got another kit so I'll use them once more to make an operational North Africa Gladiator in the future.

Pictures:

Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg 1:48 Gloster Gladiator Mk.I   Tue May 16 2017, 14:32

Two beautiful builds PMM, and despite being an older kit is probably a lot easier to build than the much newer Roden  What a Face  Gladiator. Unusual scheme on the camo version: yellow/black striped undersides were often used on target tugs.

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg 1:48 Gloster Gladiator Mk.I   Mon May 29 2017, 16:32

Great looking builds. I like that you rigged them. I have that second kit in my stash . I wanted to find one depicting Pattles ship but I never found one in 1/48. A much over looked pilot IMO

DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg 1:48 Gloster Gladiator Mk.I   Wed May 31 2017, 07:16

pmmaker wrote:
 Unfortunately, the identification of the unit was nowhere to be found. I'm assuming these markings are for a training squadron, but I'm not sure as my knowledge of RAF units couldn't fill a thimble.

After a bit of digging I found that the aircraft was originally issued to 263 Squadron then later transferred to No1 School of Army Cooperation. The black and yellow undersides are often associated with target tugs but I think it is unlikely that it ever towed target sleeves as it was more usual to use two seaters. Army cooperation usually involved reconnaissance artillery spotting so perhaps the School used the Gladiator in the role of 'Enemy' as part of the training ????
Back to top Go down

Lindberg 1:48 Gloster Gladiator Mk.I
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1