The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1/72 MPC/Airfix Junkers Ju 88 A-4, Trop 1, Libya, 1942

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: 1/72 MPC/Airfix Junkers Ju 88 A-4, Trop 1, Libya, 1942   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:24

MPC was a part of the General Mills Fun Group (yes, the same people who gave us Cheerios, Lucky Charms, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch) in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Their kits were repackaged Airfix kits and offered the builder decals to build one of three versions of the aircraft presented in the kit. Among the planes offered by MPC was the Junkers Ju-88 A-4.

This kit offered markings for a Ju 88A from the North Russian Front in 1941, a Libyan Ju 88 from 1942, and a Russian Front aircraft from the winter in 1942.

For my build, I chose to do the Ju 88 in the desert colors of Trop. 1 St(F)/121, Martuba, Libya, 1942.

The build was really rather straight forward and presented no unusual issues or problems. Like many older Airfix kits, this model had a little bit of flash and there were a few gaps that needed to be filled in. The working control surfaces and optional position gear options were ignored and I just built a stock kit.

Painting was done using a light blue spray for all the under surfaces and Testors Model Master RLM 79 Sand for the upper surfaces using my simple airbrush. All the weathering, joint staining, and exhaust are done using Tamiya pastels and a fine sponge brush. Decals are the kit supplied decals softened with Micro-sol.

The kit does come with crew members which I did include.

The completed build is actually quite stunning in a North African "desert" scheme.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: 1/72 MPC/Airfix Junkers Ju 88 A-4, Trop 1, Libya, 1942   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:25

These close ups are just to show some of the finer details:

Compared to a 1/72nd scale Lancaster, you can see why the Ju 88 is classified as a "medium" bomber.

pmmaker

1/72 MPC/Airfix Junkers Ju 88 A-4, Trop 1, Libya, 1942
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1