The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Airfix Fokker Albatros D.V in 1/72nd scale

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Airfix Fokker Albatros D.V in 1/72nd scale   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:27

The Airfix 1/72nd scale offering of the Fokker Albatros D.V has been around for quite a long time. Introduced in the early 60s, this excellent little kit has been through several reincarnations over the years including releases in blister packs and bags. Today, the model is still readily available in the new "red label" Airfix box.

The kit features 23 small, but well molded parts. Molded in a soft styrene plastic, the kit is easy to assemble and detail. With fine raised panel lines and slightly recessed control surfaces, this small model builds up into a nice rendition of the Fokker Albatros. While small in size, the plane goes together easily and needs very little filling or sanding.

Decal quality of course depends on the age of the kit. The older kits feature the heavy, matte finished decals Airfix kits have long been known for. The newer kits have the thinner, gloss finish decals found in modern kits.

This thread features a couple of builds I've done using this mold. The first is an Albatros I built using the new release of the model. Done as a Manfred von Richthofen version of the Albatros, the model features a natural wood finish and actuated control surfaces and full rigging.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Airfix Fokker Albatros D.V in 1/72nd scale   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:28

The second build was of an Albatros flown during 1917. This kit was one of the older "bubble" packs that Airfix released in the late 60s and early 70s. I can still remember seeing these hanging on peg hooks at the local drugstore when I was a kid.

Molded in a light blue plastic, the kit had the older, somewhat yellowed, thick matte decals of the older Airfix kits. Hand painted with a combination of paint types (acrylics and oil based enamels), the model sports a bright color scheme of yellow, dark green, and light violet. Liberal use of Micro-sol was needed to seat the old decals and get them to conform to the model's curved surfaces.

The latest addition to my 72nd scale WWI collection:

When you display them together, these models add a real splash of color.

Size of these is really small.

I have a couple more of these to do in the future. I hope to add to this thread once I build the remaining kits.

pmmaker

Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Airfix Fokker Albatros D.V in 1/72nd scale   Tue May 16 2017, 14:26

Not much to add to PMM's summary of the ancient Airfix kit (except to be technically accurate, it's not a Fokker Albatros; Albatros was the manufacturer). I did some minor corrections to mine including the shape of the upper wing, added a scratch built radiator, cockpit detail etc. Photo etch cooling jackets were used on the Spandaus. That's not bad carrier film on the wing markings, BTW  Very Happy  For some reason the Germans painted them out to be asymmetrical using a darker paint. Fuselage wood effect was done using oil paints.

Airfix Fokker Albatros D.V in 1/72nd scale
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1