The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Revell 1/72 B-17F "Miami Clipper"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Revell 1/72 B-17F "Miami Clipper"   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:31

The Boeing B-17, perhaps the most famous of the World War II combat aircraft, saw service in every combat theater. A total of 12,731 Fortresses were built.

In July 1941, the British used the B-17 on precision bombing runs on enemy installations. In December of the same year, 17 Fortresses flew the first U.S. missions in the Pacific. In August 1942, 12 B-17s made the first U.S. raid from England, bombed Rouen, shot down their first German aircraft, and returned with no casualties.

During the war, B-17s dropped 640,036 tons of bombs on European targets in daylight raids. This compares with 452,508 tons dropped by Liberators and 464,544 tons dropped by all other U.S. aircraft. The B-17s downed 23 enemy planes per 1,000 raids as compared with 11 by Liberators, 11 by fighters, and three by all U.S. medium and light bombers.

Following 1935 when the first B-17 was built by Boeing, constant design improvements developed the 32,000-pound Flying Fortress into the 65,000-pound giant of its day. During the later stages of the war, B-17s also were built under license by Douglas and Lockheed.

One of the most famous B-17 Groups in WWII was the 91st Bomb Group. Part of the 8th Air Force, the B-17s of the 91st BG would see action in Europe throughout the war.

Among the many members of the 91st Bomb Group’s support personnel was a talented young artist named Tony Starcer.

Corporal Starcer would use his artistic talents to paint the B-17 nose art on many of the 91st BG’s B-17s. Some of the famous B-17 aircraft painted by Corporal Starcer include Memphis Belle, Chow Hound, Miss Minooke, Nine O Nine, and Mount N Ride. Another 91stBG a/c painted by Starcer was B-17F -70-BO-12 29815, "Miami Clipper".

Miami Clipper was named after a famous East Coast railroad express train. This B-17, which was assigned to the 322BS, 91BG, 8th AF, completed its last mission on 23 March, 1944, after which it was flown back to the states and sold for scrap at Walnut Ridge on 9 January, 1945.

The crew of Miami Clipper
Serial # 42-29815 LG P

Back Row - Left to Right:
M/Sgt. Matthew D. Fronko, Engineer; T/Sgt. W. Pridgon, Waist Gunner; S/Sgt. Stanley Cantrell, Radio Operator; S/Sgt. Ted Eicke, Waist Gunner; S/Sgt. William Schofield, Tail Gunner; S/Sgt. Walter Cyr, Ball Turret Gunner.

Front Row - Left to Right:
Capt.. Albert W. Burton, Pilot; Lt. Jim Buchanan, Navigator; Lt. A. A. Ballay, Bombardier

"Miami Clipper"

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 B-17F "Miami Clipper"   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:32

THE KIT:

Revell kit 4338 is a 1989 re-release of a kit that was originally released in 1962.

Consisting of over 30 parts molded in a dark olive green styrene, this dated, but nicely detailed kit was a joy to build.

I had built several versions of this kit in my younger days and I remember the experience fondly. This build would prove no different. The basic kit is loaded with modeling "gimmicks". I decided that I would attempt to incorporate as many of these options whenever and wherever possible.

This kit reflected 1960s technology and engineering. There were no crew figures in the kit, so I built the plane without crew. This allowed me to take the basic cockpit (a deck with two seats) and add detailing - scratch built instrument panel and consoles, seat cushions, seat belts, control yokes.

There were no waist guns - just the plexiglass windows, so I scratch built the waist gun decking and added a couple of 50 cal guns from the spares box.

Miami Clipper was a later version B-17F and had a nose astro-navigation dome, which this kit did not include. I was able to fabricate one using a plastic "dimple" off a fruit container. Cut closely and trimmed, the dimple was carefully glued to the nose where the upper windows would have been on a B-17E or early version B-17F. The windows were filled in with putty, sanded and painted.

The model was spray painted with Testors Dark Aircraft Gray in a spray can and Tamiya Olive Drab using my airbrush. The upper control surfaces were hand painted using Model Master Faded Olive Drab. All the exhaust staining, engine smoke and general paint wearing were done using Tamiya pastels and Testors silver.

Decals were in excellent condition and were easy to use.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 B-17F "Miami Clipper"   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:33

Was playing with my photo-enhancing software yesterday. Turned color pictures of this plane into gray scale pictures:

Revell 1/72 B-17F "Miami Clipper"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1