The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Revell 1/72 OV-10A Bronco USMC 1968

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Revell 1/72 OV-10A Bronco USMC 1968   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:37

Just finished this build which took me back to 1972 when I was 14 years old and I built this very kit. Now 40 plus years later, I'm happy to have it back on my shelf.

The kit is dated back to 1970 and represents the OV-10A Bronco as it was then entering operational service with the United States Marine Corps in Vietnam in 1968.

The kit is molded in a dark green styrene plastic and includes 42 parts. The model features a cockpit tub and mid bulkhead that separates the front and rear seats. The seats are nicely detailed. The instrument panels have no instruments, so you have to hand paint them if you want a detailed cockpit. The kit includes two very basic crew figures that look okay if you paint them. I included them so I didn't have to detail the cockpit too extensively.

Building the kit is rather straight forward and no unusual issues are involved. The cockpit canopy comes in three sections: the front windshield and top panel and the two side panels. They don't go together quite well and needed to be trimmed to make them fit together better. Other than that, the kit goes together nicely and is an enjoyable experience to build and detail.

Revell gives some nice ordinance. Two underwing pylons hold two AIM-9B Sidewinders. The stores include a center fuel tank and four small bombs. I replaced the four small bombs with more detailed stores (two rocket pods and two small bombs) from my Hasegawa weapons kit.

Painting was done using a gloss white from a spray can and the green was through using Tamiya Japanese Army green and my airbrush.

The kit decals were excellent despite being over 40 years old.

pmmaker

Some closer shots:

My three early Vietnam kits together:

Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 OV-10A Bronco USMC 1968   Mon Mar 06 2017, 09:32

That looks great pmm, I'm guessing it needed a fair bit of nose weight. I like how you've delineated the control surfaces in black.

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 OV-10A Bronco USMC 1968   Mon Mar 06 2017, 17:52

I remember building this kit in my younger days. Excellent job pmm!
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 OV-10A Bronco USMC 1968   Mon Mar 06 2017, 23:09

That's a really nice take on the OV-10 PMM. I plan on building one of those someday and this gives me some inspiration.

BTW, I was reading a defense-type blog today which was talking about the Pentagon looking for a light-attack / counter-insurgency aircraft (which could also replace the A-10). Believe it or not, the Defense Dept. had "rented" a couple of OV-10s, from NASA, for testing to see if they could be modernized to fill that role.
Back to top Go down

Revell 1/72 OV-10A Bronco USMC 1968
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1