The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Documented Build: Monogram 1/72 A-1E SKYRAIDER

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Documented Build: Monogram 1/72 A-1E SKYRAIDER   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:44

I figured I'd borrow a page from Mike's book and document one of my builds. The kit in question is an older Monogram kit of the multi-place Douglas A-1E Skyraider (kit #0146) from 1967.

This was a kit I built around 1972 as I was entering high school. When I had a chance to buy it for under $10.00, I just couldn't resist taking a trip back to the past.

The kit comes molded in a gray plastic with 32 parts including a display stand and the beautifully rendered wide clear canopy and a single pilot. The cockpit "tub" includes the separating bulkhead, side consoles, and a decal for the instrument panel. There's lots of room for some customizing additions here.

External stores are limited to the centerline fuel tank and two napalm bombs. The other hardpoints are molded into the wing, but are empty.

Instructions are vintage Monogram consisting of an exploded drawing and a painting/decaling guide on the opposite side.

The decal sheet is of a very fine quality, especially considering this kit is almost 50 years old, and features all the primary markings. The smaller stencilling will have to be scrounged from other decal sheets.

I plan on starting the build this weekend and I'll post updates as I go along.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: Monogram 1/72 A-1E SKYRAIDER   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:45

Started some light work yesterday. I started by painting the interior fuselage sides and the cockpit a dark gunship gray.

Then I started detailing the cockpit. I painted the flight crew seats, side consoles, and added the seat cushions in the rear section of the cockpit. I added two control sticks to the cockpit as well.

I also painted the inner engine cowling a zinc chromate green and then used gunmetal to paint the radial engine.

Unfortunately, the wing hardpoints are molded onto the wing. This will affect the placement of the USAF decal and the large national insignia. Using a model saw, I cut off the outer three pylons. Then I filled in the cut marks with putty and sanded the outer wings. Once the model is built, painted and decaled, I'll glue the pylons back on.

That's how far I've gotten as of right now. I planning to get back to it next weekend.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: Monogram 1/72 A-1E SKYRAIDER   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:46

I just spent a few minutes tonight and worked on the propeller. I masked the white tips and painted them and the hub.

Tomorrow I'll add the red stripes and if I can find some, stencilling for the blades.

Also I glued the upper and lower wing halves. Tomorrow, I'll sand the leading edges and then I'll spray the undersides white.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: Monogram 1/72 A-1E SKYRAIDER   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:46

More progress today.

Sprayed underside surfaces of the wing assembly and the horizontal stabilizers gloss white:

Put the cockpit assembly into the fuselage and after adding the tail wheel, glued the fuselage halves together. Now once dry, I'll sand the join line smooth.

Pilot painting and finishing the cockpit / crew compartment is next.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: Monogram 1/72 A-1E SKYRAIDER   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:47

Taking a break from a productive afternoon of work.

First, completed the propeller. Added red stripes and some stenciling. Once I paint the cowling, I'll permanently attach the propeller.

My next area to focus on are the pilots. I don't always add crew to my builds, but when I do, I want them to be as realistic as possible. I don't view my pilot/crew figures as just add ons. To me, they are mini-models in their own right.

First I painted the flight suits a light olive and the helmets gloss white.

Next, using a fine brush, I carefully paint the faces and hands using a "flesh" colored paint.

Now I paint the parachute / seat cushions a light khaki color.

Next I paint the white straps and then I go over the faces and hands with a light wash of watered down brown. This adds depth to the pilot faces.

The completed pilots are now ready to take their seats in the cockpit.

Finally they are in the cockpit.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: Monogram 1/72 A-1E SKYRAIDER   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:48

Heading down the stretch towards being done! All the major sub-assemblies are completed and
ready for decaling and final assembly into the finished model.

Using a fine tipped hobby knife, I drilled out the landing lights on the forward gear doors.

Then using some clear glue, I created the landing light lenses.

For the cockpit / fuselage sub-assembly, I created a medical stretcher and added it to the crew compartment. Next I drew the black side panels with a fine tipped Sharpie marker and then painted the black area using Tamiya semi-gloss black. The underside is white.

I finished painting the canopy frames. I used clear tape and masked off and painted the frames one at a time. I mixed some blue acrylic paint with some clear acrylic varnish and painted the rear canopy to give the canopy a tinted look.

I finished the wing as well. I added the decals, and reattached the underwing hardpoints I had cut off earlier. Then using a small file, I filed down two areas for the wingtip navigation lights. I mixed some red and green acrylic paint to some clear glue and applied each color to the wingtips. Lastly, I added some gun exhaust and soil staining to the upper and lower wing surfaces.

The kit supplied under wing stores are done. I only have to add the red stripe decal to the napalm canisters and then I'll glue the stores and landing gear to the wing once it is attached to the fuselage.

Lastly, the engine cowling is painted and the propeller is permanently attached. Again I used my Tamiya pastels to stain the engine flaps.

My next post will be to show off the completed build. Once all these assemblies are put together, I'll finish adding decals and exhaust staining to the black fuselage area.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: Monogram 1/72 A-1E SKYRAIDER   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:48

The end of the journey is here. The build is complete and it is time for the final post.

The final product isn't half bad IMHO:

Here is a close-up walk around of the finished build:

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: Monogram 1/72 A-1E SKYRAIDER   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:49

FINAL PICTURES! I used my Hasegawa weapons kit and added ordinance to the wing hard points. Now this plane is loaded for bear and ready for a close support mission with rockets, Mk. 82 bombs and napalm.

pmmaker

Documented Build: Monogram 1/72 A-1E SKYRAIDER
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1