The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

A 1/72 scale Monogram A-1E in Vietnam Camouflage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: A 1/72 scale Monogram A-1E in Vietnam Camouflage   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:50

I recently went to a tag sale and found this kit. After building my first Monogram A-1E, I wanted to do another. But this time I wanted it to be in Vietnam era camouflage.

Unfortunately, the kit was old and the canopy was severely scratched beyond repair. I looked for a replacement, but sadly "no joy", as none was to be found. So I decided to go the route of those older mohogany desktop models and I painted the canopy black and blue.

I built the stock kit with the gear retracted and added ordinance from my Hasegawa bomb kit. Decals were from the spares box.

Overall a fun experience (once again) and some pretty acceptable results.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: A 1/72 scale Monogram A-1E in Vietnam Camouflage   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:52

Took a few snapshots of both the USAF gray and Vietnam camouflaged planes together.

Since I've got a new bookcase with a clean top, I'm going to add my two HM Skyraiders to the display. I think I'll have room for a couple of 72nd scale A-1E/J builds in the future as well.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: A 1/72 scale Monogram A-1E in Vietnam Camouflage   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:53

Found this information on Wikipedia:

The Skyraider went through seven versions, starting with the AD-1, then AD-2 and AD-3 with various minor improvements, then the AD-4 with a more powerful R-3350-26WA engine. The AD-5 was significantly widened, allowing two crew to sit side-by-side (this was not the first multiple-crew variant, the AD-1Q being a two-seater and the AD-3N a three-seater); it also came in a four-seat night-attack version, the AD-5N. The AD-6 was an improved AD-4B with improved low-level bombing equipment, and the final production version AD-7 was upgraded to a R-3350-26WB engine.

For service in Vietnam, USAF Skyraiders were fitted with the Stanley Yankee extraction system, which acted similarly to an ejection seat, though with a twin rocket pulling the escaping pilot from the cockpit.

In addition to serving during Korea and Vietnam as an attack aircraft, the Skyraider was modified into a carrier-based airborne early warning aircraft, replacing the Grumman TBM-3W Avenger. It served in this function in the USN and Royal Navy, being replaced by the Grumman E-1 Tracer and Fairey Gannet respectively in those services.

Skyraider production ended in 1957 with a total of 3,180 built. In 1962, the existing Skyraiders were redesignated A-1D through A-1J and later used by both the USAF and the Navy in the Vietnam War.

The plane was initially used in the electronic / anti-submarine roles by the Navy:

The Air Force used them as close support aircraft for downed aircrew rescue and as medical evacuation aircraft.

pmmaker

A 1/72 scale Monogram A-1E in Vietnam Camouflage
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1