The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

1/48 K&B Fokker Eindecker III,March 1916

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: 1/48 K&B Fokker Eindecker III,March 1916   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:54

A new plastic build to enhance my 1/48th scale WWI collection; a Fokker Eindecker E.III from K&B.

K&B was a subsidiary of Aurora and produced some nice models. Consisting of 20 well molded parts (including a pilot and ground crewman), high quality decals, and a molded display base, this kit was a joy to put together, detail, and rig. I think the results speak for themselves.

The molded plastic base was a great touch. I used "fake snow" found at any craft store for the bushes. I applied the fake snow with a popsicle stick and let it dry. Then I used washes of various greens to paint the snow. The sand was actually fine sand carefully applied over a base coat of Elmer's glue. A coat of dark gray finished off the base which I'm keeping for future use.

For painting, I used a scheme I found on-line of an Eindecker in 1916. I previously built a 72nd scale model in this scheme. It's different than the all tan version most normally modeled. I used a fine, thin brush and a wash of black to highlight the fuselage where the framing stains the fabric covering. Light blue stripes and bi-color wheels add just the right amount of color.

Some close-up shots to show details. The pilot paints up nicely and the cockpit, while sparse in details, includes a seat, control column, and instrument panel. I had to create the clear windscreen by cutting an old Dunkin Donuts cup, bending the windscreen, and gluing it using a clear tacky glue.

Decals were easy to apply and all the rigging was done using .015 music wire, cut to size and glued in place using Aileen's Clear Tacky Glue.

A nice kit, well engineered, and easy enough to build that adding details isn't hard.

pmmaker

1/48 K&B Fokker Eindecker III,March 1916
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1