The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Revell 1:48th scale B-25C/D

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Revell 1:48th scale B-25C/D   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:58

Manufacturer: Revell

Model: B-25C/D 113807 of the 82nd Bomb Group operating in North Africa.

Scale: 1:48

Decals / Markings: Kit supplies one set of markings for two planes: a B-25B flown by Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle, and a B-25C/D of the 82nd Bomb Group operating in North Africa.

Brief History / description: The North American B-25 Mitchell was an American twin-engine medium bomber manufactured by North American Aviation. It was used by many Allied air forces in every theater of World War II as well as many other air forces after the war ended and saw service across four decades.

The B-25 was named in honor of General Billy Mitchell, a pioneer of U.S. military aviation. By the end of its production, nearly 10,000 B-25s in numerous models had been built. These included a few limited variations, such as the United States Navy's and Marine Corps' PBJ-1 patrol bomber and the United States Army Air Forces' F-10 photo reconnaissance aircraft.

The B-25C was the second mass-produced version of the Mitchell, the first being the lightly armed B-25B used by the Doolittle Raiders. The B-25C and B-25D differed only in location of manufacture: -Cs at Inglewood, California, -Ds at Kansas City, Kansas. A total of 3,915 B-25Cs and -Ds were built by North American during World War II.

Following a number of modifications to the B-25B, including the addition of Plexiglas windows for the navigator and radio operator, heavier nose armament ( the nose armament was increased to two .50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns, one fixed and one flexible), and de-icing and anti-icing equipment; the B-25C was released to the Army. It also featured an improved version of the B-25B power plants that were upgraded from the Wright R-2600-9 radials to R-2600-13s. Other improvements included the addition of the navigator sighting blister and the instillation of a remote controlled ventral gun turret featuring two .50 inch machine guns. Some B-25C/Ds had forward firing external gun pods mounted on each side below the cockpit for the ground attack role.

The B-25C model was used extensively in North Africa by the US Army. It was also used in the United Kingdom (as the Mitchell II), in Canada, China, the Netherlands, and the Soviet Union.

Modeler’s Notes:

1) This is a large model. The parts fit is not the best and any misalignment of large areas such as the wings and fuselage are only magnified by the size of these parts.

2) Detailing is good. The wings feature actual vents and the control surfaces have the cloth finish. Rivet detail is evident throughout the model, but is not overwhelming. The pilot figures are very detailed, but they come as two separate pieces that need to be glued together. Again, fit is poor and the front and back halves really don’t align well with each other.

3) Great engine detail. Each engine includes the mounting frames and brackets so you can leave off the outer cowling and display the engines. I choose to not use all the parts as I was displaying the engines covered.

4) This plane is definitely a tail-sitter. I added modeling clay to every possible spot in the front of this plane. As long as it is on a level surface, it will sit on the gear correctly.

This was quite a long duration build. I worked on it on and off for 8 months. I took my time and when I got bored with it, I'd put it away until I felt like continuing. I don't think I'd ever do another large 48th scale model like this again. While it does look impressive, the amount of work needed to complete such a large plane is something I prefer not to have to do.

Pictures:

This is a painting of a B-25D flown in North Africa that I used as the painting inspiration for this model. All weathering I added to my model was inspired by this painting.

Here is my completed model:

A "walk around" showing close-ups of some of the details I added:

Here it is on display. Compared to my usual 72nd scale models, this does command some attention.

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1:48th scale B-25C/D   Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:59

I really do try to detail the undersides of my models as well. I usually include exhaust staining and chipping. The underside is just not seen much as I usually display my builds on the ground.

The landing gear were not as sturdy as I hoped they would be. I used some thicker plastic rod and beefed the struts up a bit. I also glued some extra rod to the interior attachment points in the nacelles for the main gear.

The kit features a complete bomb bay with operating doors. Four 500 pound bombs are included. I'm displaying this one with closed doors, but here is a picture of the bomb bay. I apologize for the white "dust" - just some sanding dust leftover from before I painted the model. I'll clean it out. Rolling Eyes

Revell 1:48th scale B-25C/D
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1