The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Heinkel He 219 "Uhu" in 72nd scale

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Heinkel He 219 "Uhu" in 72nd scale   Mon Feb 20 2017, 16:04

The Heinkel He 219 Uhu ("Eagle-Owl") was a night fighter that served with the German Luftwaffe in the later stages of World War II. A relatively sophisticated design, the He 219 possessed a variety of innovations, including an advanced VHF-band intercept radar. It was also the first operational military aircraft in the world to be equipped with ejection seats, and the first operational German World War II-era aircraft with tricycle landing gear. Had the Uhu been available in quantity, it might have had a significant effect on the strategic night bombing offensive of the Royal Air Force; but only 294 of all models were built by the end of the war, and these saw only limited service.

The He 219 was a capable fighter aircraft, allowing the pilots a large degree of autonomy. Ground control simply sent the aircraft into the right area and then the pilots took over and hunted down the bombers on their own; the SN-2 radar's 4 km (3 mi) range was greater than the distance between the bombers. While the performance of the A-2 version of the Uhu was not extraordinary — approximately 580 km/h (360 mph) speed — it was enough of an advance over the night-fighting Messerschmitt Bf 110Gs and Dornier Do 217Ns to allow the aircraft to chase several bombers in one sortie.

This model represents the first of three I plan to build. This 72nd scale kit from Revell was a lot of fun to put together. The only issue is that Revell gives you two detailed engines and each nacelle has a moveable panel to show off the engines. The fit of these panels is awful and the engines needed a lot of putty and sanding. Other details I added are:
- the rear radar made with music wire
- I painted the instrument panels
- replaced the undersized pilots with two larger pilots from the spares box
- added two swastikas from a spare decal sheet

Pictures:

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Heinkel He 219 "Uhu" in 72nd scale   Mon Feb 20 2017, 16:05

I've also completed my 2nd Heinkel 219 Uhu nightfighter. This model is a very old, Lindberg 1/72 scale kit. Definitely a "low end" kit, the engineering was actually pretty good and the basic kit went together fairly easily. Unfortunately, what it lacked was details. The kit featured no cockpit - just some seats and some very undersized pilots. The radar antennae were just four "L" shaped pieces that you glue to the nose. So I needed to go to the "spares" box and do some creative modeling.

I used a spare hollow engine from my Revell He-219 and sanded the sides until the part would fit upside down into the Lindberg model's cockpit area. I detailed the part, adding gauges, dials, and seats. I then added two pilot figures.

For the radar antennae I used some music wire and created the front and rear aerials.

The camouflage pattern is completely hand painted.

Pictures of the completed build:

Heinkel He 219 "Uhu" in 72nd scale
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1