The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Documented Build: PIONEER2 1/72 Beech C-45 EXPEDITOR

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Documented Build: PIONEER2 1/72 Beech C-45 EXPEDITOR   Mon Feb 20 2017, 16:07

This is my 2nd documented build where I will take our readers on a (somewhat) step-by-step voyage through one of my builds.

Introduction

The topic for this build is from a rather obscure (at least to me) company called PIONEER 2. This will be my 2nd PIONEER kit (see my group build Ta-154 thread) so I know what to expect.

The kit comes packaged in a basic end flap box with simple artwork by Don Greer and a painting guide on the back:

Directions are pretty basic, showing an exploded drawing with all parts numbered.

The kit consisted of about 35 finely molded parts in a soft, highly detailed plastic. Sunk in panel lines are deep where appropriate (engines, doors, control surfaces) and lightly etched in other areas (wings, fuselage, windows). The mold quality is very close to Heller/Ertl/Frog kits I've built in the past. Decals seem rather crude and I think they will have to be replaced with better ones from the spares box. No crew are provided.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: PIONEER2 1/72 Beech C-45 EXPEDITOR   Mon Feb 20 2017, 16:08

Step 1: Pre-painting

My first step whenever I build any kit is to pre-paint all the small parts and interior areas.  For the interior areas, I used an acrylic based zinc-chromate paint.  I painted the interior fuselage halves as they will be visible through all the windows.

PIONEER2 also supplies the interior floor decking and some interior bulkheads along with the seats so these are painted too:

Once these areas are painted, I painted the wheel wells and wing halves where the engines will be placed:

Next I turned my attention to the outer fuselage.  I hand painted the area around the windows with Tamiya flat aluminum:

After that I used Testors flat aluminum for the door and Testors "Jet exhaust" for the areas around the windows.

This way, once I add the windows internally, I won't have to mask them when I paint the rest of the assembled fuselage.

My last pre-painting task was to paint the tail surfaces, landing gear struts, various antennae and cockpit details.  Now I'm ready to begin building.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: PIONEER2 1/72 Beech C-45 EXPEDITOR   Mon Feb 20 2017, 16:09

Step 2 - Light building (cockpit seating)

Time to work on the seats that will be used in the cockpit. After painting the seats a zinc chromate green, it is time to add some detailing.

I like to use a thin strip of masking tape to make seat cushions. I snip a thin piece of tape off the roll:

and then I fold the strip one section over itself repeatedly until I have a small, square cushion.

I then glue the cushion onto the seat. Next I cut a very thin strip of masking tape to make seat belts. Once cut, the two thin strips are glued onto the seats. Now my seats are ready to be added to my model when I build the interior.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: PIONEER2 1/72 Beech C-45 EXPEDITOR   Mon Feb 20 2017, 16:09

Step 3 - Fuselage windows

Now it is time to carefully glue the fuselage windows onto the fuselage. This step requires a bit of care and patience otherwise I could damage the clear pieces.

First, I carefully cut the windows from the sprue using a sharp No.11 Exacto knife. Then I place a window carefully into place on the fuselage. Now using liquid cement, I apply a small amount of cement to the raised window edge:

The liquid cement will spread around the window edge through a capillary action without going over the exterior window. Once all the windows are glued, the fuselage is set aside to dry.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: PIONEER2 1/72 Beech C-45 EXPEDITOR   Mon Feb 20 2017, 16:10

Step 4: Detailing the engines

This kit comes with two radial engines. Unfortunately, they are rather bland and simple:

I've decided to invest a bit of time and effort to "spruce" them up a bit. First I painted the engines zinc chromate green and gun metal. While the paint is drying, I stretched some plastic sprue to make the engine piston rods which aren't there:

If you've never done this before, the procedure is a simple one. Simply take a longer piece of sprue and slowly turn it while holding the sprue over a source of heat - I use a tea light candle. Once the plastic has a soft consistency, take it away from the heat and gently pull both ends to make the rod at your desired thickness.

Once the plastic was stretched, I cut 36 tiny pieces to glue onto the engines:

I carefully glued two little pieces to each cylinder head of each engine.

Now I painted the engines using gun metal and jet exhaust. Once dry, the propellers are attached and the engines are glued into the wings. I then glued the upper and lower wing halves together.

I am now ready to progress to building the aircraft interior and completing the major sub-assemblies.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: PIONEER2 1/72 Beech C-45 EXPEDITOR   Mon Feb 20 2017, 16:11

Step 5: Wing assembly and painting

Attention now focuses on both wings. With the engines glued in and the top and bottom halves glued together, I sanded each leading and trailing edge to get a smooth, even surface.

Now I proceeded to paint each wing. I first painted a base coat using Tamiya's flat aluminum.

Then I painted the control surfaces using Testors flat aluminum. Since both the Tamiya acrylic and the Testors enamel have different hues, this looks like different metals were used. Then using a fine tipped artist marker I inked in the control surface lines.

I now painted the front engine nacelle with Model Master chrome silver. Once dry, I masked the nacelle and painted the anti-glare panel using semi-gloss black.

Using a small file, I next created the landing light on the port wing. Once the light was formed, I created the lens by using repeated applications of model cement. The last step was to paint the flat black de-icing boots on the wing leading edges.

I also created some exhaust manifolds as these are not included in the kit. I simply cut off the rounded part of the sprue, sanded one side flat, and glued the exhausts to the wings. Painted dark Tamiya gun metal, I added exhaust staining using my Tamiya pastels. The wings are now done and need the landing gear and gear doors to be added before being joined to the fuselage.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: PIONEER2 1/72 Beech C-45 EXPEDITOR   Mon Feb 20 2017, 16:12

Step 6: Final detailing - wings

Almost done! Finishing the wings prior to attachment to the fuselage.

The landing gear in this kit come as a single strut that glues into a hole in the wheel well. After painting the wheels/tires, I attached each wheel to the strut and glued the strut to the wheel well.

After the struts dried, I used 0.015 music wire and created two support struts for each gear. Once the struts were glued into the well and onto the gear, I added the wheel well doors.

The final step was to add the national insignia to the wings. Since I was modeling a post war C-45, I went with the more modern national insignia with the red bar.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: PIONEER2 1/72 Beech C-45 EXPEDITOR   Mon Feb 20 2017, 16:13

Step 7: Finishing the fuselage

Once I built the internal details (cabin floor, bulkheads, pilot seats, and control yokes), it was time to align and glue both the fuselage halves together. I also prepainted and glued the tail surfaces together.

Once the fuselage was glued together and dry, I sanded the seams using a fine sandpaper. The last step was to paint the fuselage.

Now I painted the windscreen, being sure to mask each frame carefully.

Once the windscreen was dry, I glued the windscreen, tail assembly, and all the antennae to the fuselage.

Now for the fun part! Using EZ-Line, I carefully start to add the aerial wiring. This plane has a double set of aerials on top to each rudder and a single aerial on the underside. Once the aerials were done, I added decals. Now I'm ready for final assembly and display!

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Documented Build: PIONEER2 1/72 Beech C-45 EXPEDITOR   Mon Feb 20 2017, 16:13

Step 8: Revealing the Finished Model

Well, the build is complete. It didn't turn out too badly, especially as a documented build. I hope the experience was enjoyable - I for one find documenting my builds to be a bit exhausting. Neutral

A bit of history about this plane:

The Beech C-45 Expeditor was a twin-engine, six/eight passenger low-wing transport monoplane.

The initial Model 18A was first flown on January 15th, 1937 and although at the time it was expected to be just another twin-engine light commercial aircraft, eventually some 9,000 aircraft would be manufactured. Even today there are still a good many examples of this versatile aircraft flying for pleasure and profit.

The success of the Beech type 18A was ensured by the onset of WWII. The first US Army Air Corps order for 11 aircraft was designated C-45 and came in 1940. The aircraft was to be used as a staff transport, but during the war, versions were used as flight trainers, navigational trainers, photo-reconnaissance aircraft, and as emergency medical evacuation aircraft.

These aircraft would be used by the US Air Force, Navy, and Marines, as well by several nations including Britain, Canada, and Japan.

pmmaker

Documented Build: PIONEER2 1/72 Beech C-45 EXPEDITOR
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1