The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

A Rescued Model: SpecCast 1/48 F-86 Sabre

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: A Rescued Model: SpecCast 1/48 F-86 Sabre   Mon Feb 20 2017, 16:26

Went to a tag sale with my wife last week. There under a table was a box of old toys - mostly plastic junk with a few old Tonka trucks mixed in. I asked the woman if I could look in the box and she said that since those we her son's old toys, they were going to throw them out. But she gave me the okay anyways.

After some rummaging, I noticed a silver wing. As I dug further, I found a pretty beat up SpecCast 48th scale F-86 Sabre. The thing was in real bad shape! It was missing the canopy, the extra fuel tanks, the main gear doors, the nose wheel, and one of the main landing gear struts. As I dug to the bottom of the box, luck was on my side. I found both pieces of the canopy and both extra fuel tanks. So I offered her $5.00 for the plane and she agreed. Once again my wife thought I had lost my mind! Rolling Eyes

I realized right away that I had my work cut out for me, but I was determined to save this poor model and give it a new lease on life. I figured a gear up scheme was its only hope. Unfortunately, SpecCast attached the main gear to metal pillars that had to be removed. I took the wings off and popped out the gear wells. I used a hacksaw and cut off the small wheel wells. After reassembling the wing, I filled all the wheel wells with repeated applications of Squadron white modeling putty and sanded these areas smooth. I also removed the nose gear, glued in the remaining gear door, and filled in the nose gear well as well. After a final sanding and painting, the underside looked pretty good.

The cockpit needed a pilot. Luckily I had a 48th scale WWI pilot hanging around. So using my putty, I hand fashioned a helmet and repainted him. He fits in nicely in the cockpit.

The plane had some realistic markings mixed in with some "sponsored" farm markings. I bought an aftermarket decal sheet for 5 bucks off eBay and after painting certain sections with Tamiya flat aluminum, I redecaled the plane. As I'm one of those collectors who loves inked in panel lines, I used an artist pen and some black ink and inked in all the panel lines. Add in a used HM P-51D stand and now I have a nice 48th scale F-86 Sabre for $10.00. BTW, this thing weighs about three pounds as it is 95% old fashioned zinc metal.

Allan

A Rescued Model: SpecCast 1/48 F-86 Sabre
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1