The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Amercom ACSL25 Fairey Swordfish Mk I

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Amercom ACSL25 Fairey Swordfish Mk I   Mon Feb 20 2017, 16:32

Model: Amercom ACSL25 Fairey Swordfish Mk I
RNFAA 815 NAS, Kenneth Williamson and Norman Scarlett, HMS Illustrious, Raid on Taranto 1940

This is a rather simple and inexpensive model I acquired a couple of years ago. Since that time, this model has remained plentiful and it's price consistent.

The model is a copy of the Corgi mold - the pilots are identical and the wing join caps found on the Corgi model are present on the Amercom top wing. As a base model for a good Code 3 fix up or conversion, this simple model is a good value.

To bring this model up to my standard, I had to perform several fixes:

1) Crew: The crew are included and they are identical to the three figures found on the more expensive Corgi Swordfish model(s). These figures were painted very basically (brown flight suits, flesh faces) and needed to be pulled out and repainted. I added the Mae West vests, goggles, and a slight wash to their faces. I also repainted the rear gun so it looks realistic rather than just being a piece of black plastic.

2) Rigging: On this model, there are two very thin rigging wires on each wing. They criss-cross from the outer wing struts to the fuselage cabane struts. I used music wire and added more of the wing strut rigging and some rigging on the tail.

3) Details: I repainted the tires using Testors rubber. The originals were gray. I also repainted the engine using gun metal gray and silver to bring out the details.

4) Torpedo: The torpedo was black. It was not straight and needed to be repaired. I immersed the torpedo into some hot water in order to soften the plastic and make it more pliable. Then with some gentle pressure, I was able to straighten it. Once it was fairly straight, I painted the torpedo dark gun metal gray with a silver head.

For a rather small $25 investment and a bit of time, I have a very nice model of the Fairey Swordfish.

pmmaker

Amercom ACSL25 Fairey Swordfish Mk I
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Model Aircraft Collector Forum :: Code 3s & Prebuilt Non Die-cast Models :: Code 3 Projects-
Jump to: