The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Airfix Hawker Fury

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DCRanger

PostSubject: Airfix Hawker Fury   Mon Feb 20 2017, 17:33

I decided to re-visit the the rigging on my first attempt. I removed the fishing line on the wings and replaced it with EZ line. It was never going to be an ideal thing to do and it didn't go quite as well as I had hoped but it does look better. The rigging on the tail surfaces and the under carriage I left alone as it was thinner but I may replace that at some time - when I'm short of something to do.

Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix Hawker Fury   Mon Feb 20 2017, 17:35

It's been a while but the better weather has slowed down my kit bashing but here at last is my second attempt at building a Fury and a second attempt at rigging. This time I used EZ line as recommended by several other folks. The result could be better in places but it is an improvement on the fishing line.

The scheme is for a Fury of the SAAF, hence the orange roundel centres. It is one of the Furies that saw action against Italian forces in East Africa. It would have been a better choice than the Munich scheme done by Hobbymaster and Corgi I think.

The HM effort really is poor, makes my effort look good.Very Happy

Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix Hawker Fury   Mon Feb 20 2017, 17:36

With the third build you would think I would have got the habg of this kit by now. It took a while but at last I now have and RAF Fury that isn't from 43 Squadron.

This one is an old boxing sold as open but complete. A lot of the parts were loose but it looked OK only to find that there were one or two bits missing. I improvised where possible but the observant might see that there are still one or two bits astray. The decals were yellowed but a few days in the sunny window improved them. The colours are not too bad but there is still a little yellow in the backing sheet.

Here we are then, a Hawker Fury of 1 Squadron starting with a bit of plastic prop spin.

Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Airfix Hawker Fury   Mon Feb 20 2017, 19:15

EZ Line does a good job and it does not pull the wings out of line. Very good for the larger models that have a lot wing movement.
Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Airfix Hawker Fury   Sat Mar 11 2017, 09:29

Only just seen these DCR, they look great. I like the camo version but the silver scheme with colorful squadron markings is just so iconic. Great pics of the 1 Sq. Fury with its engine running Good stuff

PostSubject: Re: Airfix Hawker Fury   Sat Mar 11 2017, 13:03

Yes, they do look better in silver. I'm still looking for decals for 25 Squadron to complete the trio of front line RAF squadrons. I found some in 1/72 scale but not 1/48. There were some on Ebay from the US but they were too expensive especially with the shipping from the US to UK.
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Airfix Hawker Fury   Sat Mar 11 2017, 15:05

Very nice work DCR. Like you, I am a convert to EZ-Line and am glad to have learned of it from the forum.
Back to top Go down

Airfix Hawker Fury
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1