The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

My "Late" Mavis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: My "Late" Mavis   Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:05

A Kawanishi H6k5 Mavis flying boat. A simpler kit with older moldings. 1/72 scale with three pilot figures, a detailed cockpit and not too much else!

Opening the kit with the sealed bag, I find many parts loose from the spruces and two damaged props. A quick look and I find I am in the hole already as one of the prop blades is nowhere to be found. Ugh. I will look for replacements somewhere later.

Here is the kit as opened. Decals look okay, but will get a light Krylon treatment before using. A nice color sheet of the plane is included.

Some of the loose parts were small windows, so I installed those and the rest of the inside installation windows already. Later I start the building and painting of the cockpit...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My "Late" Mavis   Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:07

The Mavis is moving along slowly. I was waiting for some aftermarket propellers to arrive in the mail. And was holding off on staring major assembly. Well they arrived today amidst a couple other projects I was into.

I did start and finish the cockpit today. Between searching my baggy of detached parts and searching the spruces for the rest, it was a suspenseful assembly.

After the cockpit was assembled, I started to paint the little guys....

The cockpit details are painted as the little guys flightsuits dry out...then they are glued into their seats...

Helmets and gloves are painted, a little touch up and a map for the navigator's table, finish the step...

More soon...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My "Late" Mavis   Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:08

Back working on the Mavis. I painted the interior spaces with interior green and the placed the cockpit floor before glueing the two halves together. There is some minor filling already as the two halves are only a fair fit. The seams are tight with almost no gaps, but the seams override each other, which will require a bit of shaving and sanding.

As the fuselage sets, I come to the propellers. The kit props were all broken and some of the blades were missing. I bought two aftermarket sets of PBY props and test fit the spinner hub inside the cone from the kit. The hubs are too big. My next try consisted of taking the prop hubs from the kit and cutting off the remaining blades, the glueing the hubs into the spinner cones. After the cement set up, I drilled small holes in the hub. The replacement blades from the set have nubs on the end that plug into the drilled holes.

The prop work will add another hour to the build. More later....

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My "Late" Mavis   Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:09

Thanks Mike.

The decals are probably from the 1990's. They look good, but they will get the Krylon treatment before I attempt to use them.

The props are done. I assembled the main wing with working flaps. The engines will be mounted and painted before the cowls and props are installed. I jumped around in the instructions a bit to simplify assembly. There are wing tip assemblies which will double the span of the wings once they are installed on the main wing.

I also started working on the main fuselage seams. Mostly shaving them down as they are tight but uneven.

Hope to make some more progress today...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My "Late" Mavis   Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:10

Taking shape now. Many struts to install. Then some rigging probably more that I want, lol. Off work for a few days, so I should make some decent progress...

I set a half built Curtiss P-36 nearby to show how big this plane is. Bigger than I thought...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My "Late" Mavis   Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:11

PW, the wing span is 20", the wing being made up of three sections.

Here is the plane with all the underwing rigging installed and painted. I sprayed the plane with Tamyia light grey primer and let it dry. It was followed up with a thin spray of Testors flat white to get the "ashen white" color the kit instructions call for.

Next, I will be installing more upper details and starting the upper green color by brush.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My "Late" Mavis   Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:12

Thanks Mike. I used stretched sprue for the rigging as it is all underwing stuff, in areas my fat fingers have trouble getting into. I will use EZ-line for the upper radio aerial wires that will run from the canopy to the two tail rudders. That area will get more abuse from mishandling, so the EZ-line will survive longer.

I am crawling along on the project. I painted the motors again and installed the engine cowls. Each cowl had two tiny exhaust pipes that were a bear to install. Such tiny parts for a clunky kit. They should have been part of the cowl casting in the first place. I also installed the beaching gear, which is very delicate. The plane will be on its back for the next 24 hours until the cement dries completely.

I knocked off and replaced the one wing flap for the third time. I painted the white portions of the cowls and nacelles, and touched up some white areas. I masked out the main canopy and painted the props brown. I will stripe them before installation.

The fuselage is painted now. The wings are next. Brush painting takes time!

More soon!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My "Late" Mavis   Sun Feb 19 2017, 14:11

Getting closer....touch up painting done. Props and antenna masts installed.

Starting decal work now. Decals working well with one coat of Krylon

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My "Late" Mavis   Sat Feb 25 2017, 11:15

Finally finished. Knocked the one flap off for the fifth time...I finished the Mavis with a dry brush weathering technique using off white. The bottom side received a light black wash. A final coat of dullcote and the last windows are installed.

The antenna rigging was a bit difficult. I am not really good at that.

The plane was finished with out the beaching gear. It was just too flimsy.

Not one of my favorite kits. The plastic is heavy and thick in places and the few detail parts are terribly weak in design. A typical older kit...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My "Late" Mavis   Sat Feb 25 2017, 12:30

TomMarkert wrote:

Tom

Outstanding Tom ..... Your weathering looks great and I like that you matched up the Mavis with the Curtis Seahawk....... Great build. I have one in my stash as well as an Emily ....You set the std to build by.

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: My "Late" Mavis   Sat Feb 25 2017, 23:38

That really came out nice Tom. I like how you did your weathering. You did a really nice job of it.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: My "Late" Mavis   Sun Feb 26 2017, 08:08

Thanks guys. There were a number of areas I kind of short-cut on, that could have used more attention than I gave it. It was the first plane I built in a while.

The weathering is simple drybrushing, an easy way of weathering, just a large quantity of it on this plane. It also hides some little evil spots I couldn't get right.

Again, thanks for the kind words.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My "Late" Mavis   Sun Feb 26 2017, 08:39

It really did turn out well.  Sometimes what we envision a finished model looking like is a far cry from what the reality turns out to be.  At a time like that, we are disappointed by our results because it isn't what we anticipated.  But other people just see our model (or other artwork) for what it simply is.

This applies here Tom.  We see a nice model!  That is what it simply is.  Only you know what you envisioned.  As for my opinion, you've got something to be proud of and to enjoy.  It looks like another large stunner you get to proudly display.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: My "Late" Mavis   Sun Feb 26 2017, 10:39

True. As artists we know the details of our work, good and bad. As those who appreciate our work, they see the picture as a whole and appreciate that.

Thanks for the kind words!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My "Late" Mavis   Sun Feb 26 2017, 12:31

The Mavis is hangin already. I need to organize someday....

Tom

My "Late" Mavis
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next