The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

SMER 1/48 L.4 Piper Cub

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: SMER 1/48 L.4 Piper Cub   Tue Feb 21 2017, 07:16

Just finished this great little model. Even though it is 1/48th scale, it's pretty small - about the same dimensions as a 72nd scale Corsair.

The pilot is from my Monogram TBD kit.

SMER provides a great decal sheet with markings to make a L.4 from the North Africa invasion or a version that flew over Normandy during D-Day. Seeing how I like invasion stripes a lot, I built the Normandy version.

Lots of detail on this kit especially the way they molded the fabric covering on all the wing, fuselage, and tail surfaces.

Some problem areas included the canopy (molded in 4 separate pieces and a bear to align correctly), the support framing in the cockpit (molded in three pieces and hard to align correctly) and the landing gear (only two very small locating pins for each gear and some rigging that has to align correctly).

But basically, if you take your time, this simple kit builds up into a nice model.

SMER 1/48 L.4 Piper Cub
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1