The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Review: Glencoe Grumman J2F-2 Duck

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Review: Glencoe Grumman J2F-2 Duck   Tue Feb 21 2017, 07:24

Manufacturer: Glencoe Models

Model:

Scale: Approx 1/48 (1:50)

Decals / Markings: 3 sets of markings: U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Navy, Argentine Navy

History / description: The Grumman J2F Duck (company designation G-15) was an American single-engine amphibious biplane. It was used by each major branch of the U.S. armed forces from the mid-1930s until just after World War II, primarily for utility and air-sea rescue duties. It was also used by the Argentine Navy, who took delivery of their first Duck in 1937. After the war, J2F Ducks saw service with independent civilian operators, as well as the armed forces of Colombia and Mexico.

The Grumman JF Duck first appeared in 1933. Intended originally for the utility and communication roles, the Duck eventually found itself employed in additional roles including air-sea rescue, target towing, photographic reconnaissance, and ambulance work. During World War II, the Duck was especially useful for scouting and air-sea rescue for the Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard.

The J2F was an improved version of the earlier JF Duck, with its main difference being a longer float and a Wright Cyclone engine which was boosted to 790 hp.

Modeler’s Notes:

1) A rather large model for a bi-plane, the kit goes together rather nicely. Little need for putty to fill seams on the fuselage. Some sanding was needed to smooth out the join lines.

2) The cockpit detail is sparse. Pilots are two well molded torsos and need to be replaced if possible. Careful painting of the pilots will make them acceptable. A full cockpit canopy which includes a rear facing gun is supplied.

3) The engine detail is wonderful. The pistons are well molded and you get the exhaust ring that is clearly visible behind the engine cowl. Propeller stencils are included.

4) The alignment of the top wing is problematic. I recommend rigging the model beforehand as the box art and directions gives a good idea where the wires go. Aligning the struts to the wings is a bit of a challenge but Pro-weld will alleviate many issues. For rigging, I used a 28 gage florist wire cut to size and glued using Aileen’s White Tacky Glue.

5) Exhaust staining achieved through slight application of Tamiya pastels.

6) I built my model in flight. I had to cut a slot for the stand (borrowed a Hobby Master stand) and created a cover for where the landing gear would have extended. No parts to do this are supplied with the kit.

Paints: Ceramcoat Empire Gold acrylic (wings), Tamiya acrylic red, grey, aluminum, flat black, silver, semi-gloss black, Testors rubber, Testors Dullcote

Pictures:

Grumman J2F-6 Duck NL5SF/BuAer 33594 built by Columbia Aircraft Corporation in 1942 airworthy at Valle Arizona in October 2005 in US Marine Corps markings

Review: Glencoe Grumman J2F-2 Duck
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1