The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

SMER 1/48 Fokker D. VII - Flying Circus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: SMER 1/48 Fokker D. VII - Flying Circus   Tue Feb 21 2017, 07:25

Manufacturer: SMĔR

Model: Fokker D.VII from Germany’s Flying Circus circa 1918

Scale: 1/48 (approx)

Decals / Markings: Kit supplies one set of markings for two planes: A Fokker D. VII flown by either Rudolph Berthold or Ernst Udet

Brief History / description: As a single – seat fighter, the Fokker D. VII ranked among the best fighters in the First World War. Designed by Reinhold Platz, the first test flight of the aircraft took place on January 25, 1918. After necessary modifications, the first production aircraft were delivered to squadrons on the Western front in May, 1918.

The Fokker D. VII had all-wood wings with a thick profile and a fuselage constructed of a frame of steel tubes. The leading edges of the wings were covered with plywood and the whole airframe was covered with linen. The front part of the fuselage was covered with removable aluminum plates for easier servicing.

The Fokker D. VII had easy handling characteristics and mechanical dependability in all flight regimes which led to its great popularity with its pilots. For the allied air forces, the Fokker D. VII became the most feared German fighter by the war’s end. Before the armistice was concluded in 1918, 1,700 fighters of this type had been built.

After the war, most of the Fokker D.VIIs in German service were ordered to be destroyed or repatriated to the Allies. Several countries continued to fly the type until the late 1920s.

Modeler’s Notes:

1) Construction is fairly straight-forward with minimal sanding needed.

2) Detailing is minimal as well. The engine includes the exhaust piping and the cockpit is just a seat, instrument panel, and pilot figure

3) The model was hand painted using a gloss red and gloss white acrylic enamel. Top wing stripes were masked off and hand painted. The lozenge pattern was hand drawn and then hand painted using acrylic pale yellow, sky blue, sea green, and rose pink. The entire model was over sprayed with Testors Dullcote. All national insignia and stencils are from the kit supplied decals. The top wing crosses were hand modified.

4) Exhaust staining was achieved through a slight application of Tamiya pastels. Propeller was painted using wood stain. All rigging / control wiring was through the use of 0.20 music wire.

Pictures:

This is the endpaper image painted by Frank Wootton for the Time/Life Epic of Flight volume I used as the inspiration for this model.

My model:

My two SMĔR D. VII builds together:

SMER 1/48 Fokker D. VII - Flying Circus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1