The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS & GUESTS! The Model Aircraft Collector Forum will be permanently shut down effective October 31st.

Share | 

Tutorial: Dirt & Exhaust Staining with Tamiya Pastels

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Tutorial: Dirt & Exhaust Staining with Tamiya Pastels   Tue Feb 21 2017, 08:36

In a recent thread where I posted pictures of my weathered Ju.88, KYUSHU J7W asked:

"How exactly do you do that engine exhaust staining. The materials and technique?"

Well I decided to post this tutorial to show how I get weathering and gun / engine exhaust staining on my models using Tamiya's weathering pastels.

Materials:

Tamiya Weathering Pastels come in a small plastic case. There are various sets available. The set I prefer has snow (white), soot (black), and rust (brown) coloring in it. One of the advantages of using these pastels is that if you mess up, they wipe right off with a soft, damp cloth and then you can start over.

These sets are available on eBay for around $12.00 each and they come with an applicator brush. I have another set that has a yellow ochre, charcoal grey, dark green which I use to add feathered camouflage patterns to my German planes, but that's a whole other tutorial.

Foam brushes: the process slowly destroys the brush that comes with the pastels so I bought a bag of twelve replacements for around $6.00 from my local hobby shop.

The process:

As you can see, my set of pastels have seen quite a bit of action - grizzled old veteran seems to be an appropriate term:

To add gun or engine exhaust, I start by gently rubbing the applicator brush over the surface of the pastel.

I continue rubbing the brush until the brush has a good amount of coloring on it:

Now I start adding the weathering. I gently rub the brush directly onto the model's surface with a back and forth motion. I apply gentle downward pressure to transfer the pastel coloring to the model.

When the brush doesn't have enough pastel coloring, I go back and reapply more pastel to the brush.

The I go back and continue adding pastel.

I continue this process until I have the desired effect for gun exhaust, engine exhaust, and dirt/weathering. When I overspray the model, the pastels will be permanent. Before then, you can wipe the pastels off if you made a mistake or don't like your effect.

I hope this helps. As always, if you have any questions or run into difficulties, please don't hesitate to ask.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: Dirt & Exhaust Staining with Tamiya Pastels   Tue Feb 21 2017, 08:38

There are many different products and methods out there for adding "weathering" to our models. Everyone has their own favorite product or method. Ken asked me how I get the effects I do, hence this tutorial.

The Tamiya pastels are my first choice for both ease of use and quality results. I do have other tricks up my sleeve that I use for different effects. For example, I've used the pastels to pretty good effect to add mottling on German nightfighters:

In the past, I'd weather my models using an airbrush. But airbrushes are tricky to master and a pain in the butt to clean. Washes work well too, but again, it is a technique that requires a lot of patience and experience to master and get excellent results.

What ever method or product we use, the effect should be the same; the creation of a realistic looking model that appears to have seen actual service.

pmmaker

Tutorial: Dirt & Exhaust Staining with Tamiya Pastels
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1