The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Corgi Bloodhound Missile Kit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Corgi Bloodhound Missile Kit    Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:22

Here is a repro kit made by Model Supplies of Great Britain. It is a repro from molds used by Corgi when they produced their Bloodhound missile set. The original set came with a transport trailer, a launch platform and the missile. The real missile was used in the 1950's until the threat of long range Soviet Bombers faded away due to implementation of ICBMs.

The kit is very basic. It assembles easily with out glue. The missile is made up of the nose cone, four boosters, two ram jet engines, the main fuselage and the metal warhead insert...

I test assembled the missile to check fit. Little or no parts cleaning was needed. All parts fit snugly...

The prototype missile was a two stage system. It was launched using the four booster missiles. After a short duration, the boosters were jettisoned and the two ram jets powered the missile to the target.

I will disassemble and paint the parts before reassembly. Here is the missile in a Corgi Bloodhound transport trailer...

More to come....

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Corgi Bloodhound Missile Kit    Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:23

The model is approximately 1/43 scale. About 6" long. I have original Corgi missiles of the same type. I will post pics of them.

This kit is a for a reproduction of the Corgi model, for those who have launchers and trailers but no original missiles. It is made by www.model-supplies.co.uk

They make repro kits and parts for many old British diecast toys from pre-war through the 1980's. Neat stuff. I am also working on a couple Corporal Missiles, carriers and launchers.

I wasn't aware the British had a anti aircraft missile system during the early cold war. They are equivalent to the US Nike Hercules missile, but dramatically different looking as well as differently powered.

They were manufactured by Bristol Aircraft Company.

It was interesting to note that while all anti-aircraft missile systems in the United States were operated by the US Army, the British Anti-aircraft defenses were operated by the RAF as they were generally used to protect RAF heavy bomber bases rather than protect civilian industrial centers as the Nike system did in the US....

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Corgi Bloodhound Missile Kit    Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:24

Delete this part afro

Last edited by TomMarkert on Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:28; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Corgi Bloodhound Missile Kit    Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:26

After letting the kit sit for the week, I finally took to painting the missile. I sprayed everything with some Tamyia primer and let set for a few hours. Next, I painted main fuselage and ramjets with glossy white Testors paint.

Next, the four boosters were brush painted with a mix of yellow and flesh tone to achieve the dull yellow the original Corgi missiles had applied from the factory...

Next step will be assembly and decaling....

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Corgi Bloodhound Missile Kit    Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:29

The missile went together perfectly. I used ACC to set the parts in place. The kit maker shorted me four roundules for the "wings" so I applied the two to the fuselage. A good coat of gloss coat finishes the paint portion...

The kit comes with a rubber nose cone. The missile was a toy after all, some some consumer safety was incorporated despite being made in the 1960's. The original missiles had rubber cones which had a tendency to harden and crumble or sometimes simply "melt", so repro nose cones are easily obtained.

Here we see the finished missile in the launcher. The lowered position is the loading position as the missile was unloaded from a special carrier. The next set of pictures, show the missile in the upright firing position. The launch rack rotates 360 degrees, so it could be aimed at incoming targets from any direction...

That concludes the short and sweet Bloodhound Missile build. It is all metal and pretty heavy. A nice kit.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Corgi Bloodhound Missile Kit    Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:30

One more set of photos...the reproduction Bloodhound and a vintage version side by side. The original bird has all six decals while the repro had only the fuselage roundules.

The launchers are both vintage Corgi productions, as well as the transport wagon in the one picture. I have three batteries in all...

Back to the Mavis now...lol.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Corgi Bloodhound Missile Kit    Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:36

The Bloodhound was active in the U.K. Into the 1980s. Some US made Nike batteries were active in western Germany much later that they were in the US. Some are still in use elsewhere, with modern avionics.

Here are some comparison shots of the Nike and the Bloodhound...

The arch enemy of the missiles was the Soviet Tupoleve 95 "Bear" bomber. Here is a really bad photo of my Bear which I built a few years ago....

Tom

Corgi Bloodhound Missile Kit
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1