The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Code 3: Fokker Dr. I Ltn. Ernst Udet 1:48

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Code 3: Fokker Dr. I Ltn. Ernst Udet 1:48   Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:14 am

Thanks to a lead from members of this forum, I was able to finally pick up this model for a reasonable price from a new online vendor. It arrived with a few issues, but overall, I was happy to get this one into my growing WWI collection.

As usual, I spent a little bit of time and made some needed repairs and some cosmetic changes.

When I opened the box, I noticed the pilot was loose in the plastic clamshell. This wasn't a big issue as I was planning on doing some work on him and this saved me the trouble of prying him out. Another issue was one of the wheels had come off the axel and I just needed to reattach it. The most serious issue was that one of the wing braces was completely missing. I looked everywhere, but to no avail, it was gone. So I used a flat toothpick and recreated a new strut and glued it between the wings. Then with some careful mixing, I was able to match the blue paint almost exactly.

Other changes included sanding away the pilot's visor and then I completely repainted him. I woodenized the propeller and painted the engine with gun metal & aluminum. I repainted the machine guns from an all silver to a more realistic gun metal with wooden stocks. I also painted the padding around the canopy a brown leather color. Then I used another flat toothpick and added a pair of underwing skid braces which I stained. Once finished, I shot the entire model with a coat of Testors Dullcote. This removes the high gloss metallic finish and makes the model look like it is covered by a no gloss fabric instead.

One big difference I noticed between my model and Mike's from his earlier post is that mine includes Udet's black flying crow motif.

A really nice model to have:

Code 3: Fokker Dr. I Ltn. Ernst Udet 1:48
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1