The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

CORGI Sopwith Camel-Capt C.M. McEwen-RAF 28 Sqn-AA38106

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: CORGI Sopwith Camel-Capt C.M. McEwen-RAF 28 Sqn-AA38106   Tue Feb 21 2017, 09:25

Got this model when it was first released.  What a beautiful model.  Some diecast collectors complain that the upper wing is too high.  I've seen pictures of the Sopwith Camel and built a few kits.  If the wing is truly too high, that's a detail I can live with.  Guess I'm more forgiving than most.   Smart ass

The only other issues I had with this plane have to do with the colorful red and white stripes around the cockpit area. The white paint is somewhat translucent and allows the red underneath to bleed through giving the white stripe a pinkish tint.  You would think Corgi would have painted the white first and then the red, but who knows what they were thinking (or not).  To fix this issue, I got myself a jar of white Tamiya pint and I carefully hand brushed the white stripes. I avoided the edges as much as possible as I painted the stripes. The results were much better.

The other issue is the "caramel" colored propeller and wood wing / gear struts.  For quite a few WWI releases, Corgi gave us a gloss tan plastic propeller.  These propellers were so toy like and really needed to be changed.  Luckily they have since moved to new propellers with a wood grain.  The wings struts unfortunately still look like plastic and need fixing.

Modifications:

I made three.

1) As mentioned, I hand painted the white stripes behind the cockpit.  That got rid of the pink tint.

2) I used wood stain and I touched every "tan" wood surface.  Once dry, the wood stain makes the plastic look like real wood.

3) I gave the entire model a coat of Dullcote as the model was very glossy.

pmmaker

The finished product:

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: CORGI Sopwith Camel-Capt C.M. McEwen-RAF 28 Sqn-AA38106   Thu Mar 09 2017, 00:08

That's a very attractive livery, PMM. Your mods worked well.
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: CORGI Sopwith Camel-Capt C.M. McEwen-RAF 28 Sqn-AA38106   Thu Mar 09 2017, 02:34

Propwash wrote:

Yeah, it's really an eye-catching scheme.  A rare splash of color on the usually uniform and boring green of the allied planes from most of the war.

The mods weren't too hard to do.  The basic model was good.  The mods, in my personal view, just take it to a higher level.  Its a shame the tampo white was so translucent that the red bled through.  For the sake of me I don't know what possessed Corgi to print white over red.  Rolling Eyes  They should have done the opposite, red on white.  Luckily for me, I have a steady hand and a steady supply of nicely thinned white paint.

pmmaker

Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: CORGI Sopwith Camel-Capt C.M. McEwen-RAF 28 Sqn-AA38106   Thu Mar 09 2017, 14:13

Propwash wrote:

Agree....very well done. This livery was at Rhinbeck a few years back. Not sure if its still around.

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: CORGI Sopwith Camel-Capt C.M. McEwen-RAF 28 Sqn-AA38106   Fri Mar 10 2017, 00:34

Corgi painted the white over the red? Makes you wonder who thought that was a good idea? Shocked
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: CORGI Sopwith Camel-Capt C.M. McEwen-RAF 28 Sqn-AA38106   Fri Mar 10 2017, 06:05

Propwash wrote:
Corgi painted the white over the red? Makes you wonder who thought that was a good idea? Shocked

EXACTLY! When I opened the box, the white stripes had a pinkish tint to them. You could see the red bleed through. That's why I had to use a thinned down white acryic enamel and I repainted the white stripes. The pattern on the wheels had to stay as I could not get a thin enough brush to retouch them and not mess them up.

pmmaker

CORGI Sopwith Camel-Capt C.M. McEwen-RAF 28 Sqn-AA38106
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1