The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Old Dinky F-4 Model/toys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Old Dinky F-4 Model/toys   Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:40

The first metal jet I ever owned was a Dinky F-4 Phantom in US Navy colors. I purchased it in or around 1976. It had fairly accurate markings, pilots and working landing gear. It also featured a drop tank which fired from the plane with the press of a button on the side.

In the past few years, I have purchased a couple used ones, while my pristine example sits in a glass case. Here they are...

PostSubject: Re: Old Dinky F-4 Model/toys   Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:41

Here is a new restoration project...a Dinky metal Royal Navy F-4 Phantom. It had a smashed canopy, dented nose cone, missing drop tank and some missing markings. The mechanical work has been done and the next part is applying some of the missing decals...

Photos of the completed plane soon...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Old Dinky F-4 Model/toys   Sat Feb 18 2017, 19:42

Well, I finished my RNAF Phantom F-4 Dinky fighter. Restoration parts and decals are readily available on line.

I removed the old, cracked canopy. The pilots were loose, so I used a drop of ACC to set them in place...

The repro canopy is snapped in place after some filing to get a decent fit. Unfortunately, the new canopy isn't as crystal clear as the original. I may give a dip in Future Floor Wax to sharpen it up.

Next, I cleaned up the drop tank, which is also a repro. Each Dinky plane came with two "bombs". The bomb slides into a spring loaded slot and snaps into place. It is triggered by pressing a button on the side of the fuselage. It shoots off the plane and travels about six feet...

Finally, I applied the decals. I left the original factory stick-on roundules and tail emblem in place. The lettering, numbers and rescue symbols are decals. The underwing roundules are decals.

The plane is done. I like a little honest play wear on my older restorations, so the paint chips and wear spots remain. Dinky made a US Navy, US Airforce, Luftwaffe and RNAF version of the F-4. They are nice models with working landing gear and the shooting bomb for play value.

Tom

Old Dinky F-4 Model/toys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1