The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Review: Amercom 1/72 Albatros D.V Paul Baeumer, 1917

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Review: Amercom 1/72 Albatros D.V Paul Baeumer, 1917   Tue Feb 21 2017, 09:33

Amercom Aircraft GW1101
Albatros D.V Diecast Model
Luftstreitkrafte Jasta 5, Paul Baeumer, 1917

A very nice little model that I was able to acquire thanks to Amazon.  Produced by Amercom, this Albatros D.V is painted in the markings of the plane flown by Paul Baeumer in 1917.

Born in 1896, Paul Baeumer was an assistant dentist who learned to fly, joining Flieger Abteilung 7, then Jasta 2, followed by Jasta 5, returning to Jasta 3 after his 3rd victory in August 1917. He received the Pour le Mérite on the November 2, 1918. His 4th victory was on September 9, shooting down a RE8 of 52 Sqn, flown by Lt. Arthur Gerrard B. Davidson and 2nd Lt. B.B. Bishop over Mannekensvere, who were both killed. His 5th victory involved a Sopwith Camel of 9 Naval Sqn on the 20th of September, wounding the pilot during this action. His 6th and final victory on Snellegem airfield was also a Sopwith Camel making him the airfield's biggest Ace.

The model looks great (despite it's small size) straight out of the box.  It includes some of the basic wing rigging and beautifully applied markings.  The struts are a bit thick, but that's a limitation of the small scale.  For a model of this size, the molded in details such as hatch covers and control actuators are superb.  The wings and tail assembly are plastic, but the fuselage is die-cast.

I then took my model and added some more of the rigging (wings, nose to wing, and tail control cables.  I touched up the propeller and added some detail to the pilot.  Now the revised model:

A couple of pictures of this 72nd scale model in comparison with its big 48th scale brother from Corgi.

Review: Amercom 1/72 Albatros D.V Paul Baeumer, 1917
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1