The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW: Amercom 1/72 Fokker D.VII Ernest Udet

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: REVIEW: Amercom 1/72 Fokker D.VII Ernest Udet   Tue Feb 21 2017, 09:37

Got this one last from eBay. One famous WWI plane I did not have in my growing 72nd scale collection was the D.VII by Fokker. Since I have several of the Amercom WWI offerings in my collection, I figured I'd take a chance on this one.

Out of the box, this model has some issues. First of all Amercom made the struts to scale. This results in struts that are bent and flimsy. The gear struts are warped and no amount of "gentle" persuasion will get them completely right. I had to cut and rebend the right wing strut to get it fairly straight.

The model has a colorful and fairly accurate lozenge pattern. This pattern is incredible considering the small size of the plane itself. The wingspan is only 6 inches and the fuselage is only 3 inches long.

Amercom did a nice job with the markings. The only omission was not painting the front of the aircraft black. I used some Tamiya acrylic semi-gloss black and took care of this. The model has the small hand holds on the fuselage and I added the wire bracing on the landing gear.

Overall, a nice die-cast representation of an important WWI aircraft. I recommend it, but be prepared to "tinker" with it to have a really good model.

Pictures:

The model as it is displayed in my cabinet with my other 72nd scale WWI planes.

REVIEW: Amercom 1/72 Fokker D.VII Ernest Udet
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1