The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Code 3: Witty P-51D Tuskegee "Red Tails"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Code 3: Witty P-51D Tuskegee "Red Tails"   Tue Feb 21 2017, 09:41

Having seen the movie "Red Tails", I wanted to have a diecast version of a Tuskegee P-51D. I didn't want a Corgi P-51 (flawed mold, high price, hard-to-find) so I went on ebay and I picked up a Witty RAF P-51D for cheap. Then I found a sheet of AeroMaster decals that included markings for 5 P-51s. Looking at my sheet, I decided to do "Duchess Arlene" which was the P-51D flown by 1st Lt. Robert Williams with the 301st fighter Squadron in Ramitelli, Italy, during the spring of 1945.

In doing this conversion, the only major issue was the landing gear. I wanted an in-flight model, but Witty make their P-51s with gear down only. This meant I had to cut off the gear, then using a sharp knife, I had to clean out the wheel wells. Then I glued the gear doors into the wheel wells. Unfortunately, the fit wasn't exact so I had to do some sanding and trimming.

I replaced the poor looking Witty pilot with a repainted (brown face & hands) Hobby Master pilot and then repainted the whole plane.

Painting involved sanding off the old markings and then repainting the entire plane. I used Testor's Chrome spray paint. I sprayed the paint into the cap and then applied it onto the model using a soft, wide brush. Then I painted the red tail, wing tips, nose flash, and gear doors. For this I used a gloss red acrylic enamel. I masked off the wings and painted the yellow identification stripes using Testors flat yellow.

Once the painting was done, I applied the decals. The AeroMaster decals went on smoothly. Once dry, the entire model was given a shot of Glosscoat.

Here are the results:

On display:

Code 3: Witty P-51D Tuskegee "Red Tails"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1