The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

HM HA0303 F6F-3 Hellcat VF-27 White 17

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
daveyator

PostSubject: HM HA0303 F6F-3 Hellcat VF-27 White 17   Tue Feb 21 2017, 10:48

Hello all. I purchased recently for  the literal "song" and since I didn't see it listed I thought I'd share a newbie collector's review. If not a known source you should check out www.historicaviation.com. They occasionally have deep discounts on die cast. In this case this new $229 item was obtained by me for $65 plus shipping. Not plugging for them at all just still astounded at the price I got on this thing!

I don't collect 1/32 but again the sale price made me buy this. ITS HUGE LOL! It seems to be very nice overall. Gear can be up or down. There are two "lights" along the dorsal area just behind the antenna that look a little funky to me and I don't remember them on other hellcat models I've built.

The landing gear wheels and tires look odd and I do recall seeing a gear redo on this site and if I was totally into 1/32 I might pursue it.

The cockpit seems detailed enough for die cast I guess and there are actually rudder pedals inside. I tried to get a pic but hope these will do. I left the pilot out as he would need a lot of enhancement at this scale to look okay IMHO.

I'm sure each model is different but here are a few flaws I have on mine. First I had a heck of a time getting the right wing to fit decently. It just doesn't want to mate up nicely. You can see some filing work as I tried to fix where it appeared to be hanging up but its still only marginal. I realize these are die cast molds but on a model this potentially expensive it should be better...so says the newbie! The pitot tube on the right wing is just warped period. It's plastic, came just way it looks but I'm reluctant to bend it straight for fear of snapping it off. The underside is nice but again the gear just looks funny somehow. The modelers out there could probably spruce things up nicely with a paintbrush.

Well thats all I have for this very nice Hellcat from HM. Thanks for putting up with a newbie review. I adding the description right off the box describing the aircraft for convenience.

"In 1944 Grumman Hellcat F6F-3 “White 17” belonged to VF-27’s Lt. Richard “Dick” Stambook on
board the USS Princeton. Before VF-27; Stambook served with VS-3 flying a Dauntless, VF-3
and VF-6 piloting Wildcats. His best day was June 19, 1944, while flying “White 17” Dick brought
down 3 Japanese aircraft. On October 18, 1944 Stambook scored his tenth and final victory, a
Kawasaki Ki-45 Nick. Six days later Stambook was lucky to be alive when the USS Princeton was
destroyed and he had to swim to safety."

Last edited by daveyator on Mon Feb 27 2017, 19:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: HM HA0303 F6F-3 Hellcat VF-27 White 17   Wed Feb 22 2017, 17:32

A great find for an incredible price. Now all you need to do is find a 1/32 Zero, Rufe or George to build as its display companion. Congratulations on this pick up.

HM HA0303 F6F-3 Hellcat VF-27 White 17
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1