The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

HM HA8202 F4U-1A Corsair VMF-214 "Black Sheep" White 86

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
daveyator

PostSubject: HM HA8202 F4U-1A Corsair VMF-214 "Black Sheep" White 86   Tue Feb 21 2017, 10:54

Right after I got my first Hobby Master fighter at a show I obviously starting poking around online (eBay) to find some others. When I saw this one I was so excited because A, I love the Cosair, and B, this was the actual Black Sheep fighter I had seen a pic of Boyington in and yes as a kid I loved the show, and C the auction was ending in minutes so I wound up paying a ton for this only to find out he never flew it...lol. Anyway i love the model but a few comments. The wings are plastic as has been pointed out before. The canopy barely stays on as compared to some other HM's you can barely open. I also found it a little difficult to get the wheel struts to sit evenly so that numbers look symmetrical. No big deal though and its still a great model as far as I'm concerned. If anyone out there as any info as to what #86 did or pictures of any of the actual VMF214 Cosairs that would be really cool.

Again here is the HM description

Pappy Boyington never actually flew Corsair 86. Land based Marine squadrons didn’t have
assigned aircraft so 86 just became part of a publicity picture with a name and Japanese flags
representing victories hurriedly applied. Applied so hurriedly that some of the victory markings
are backward and not in line. The name on #86 was Lucybelle after a woman named Lucy he
was courting. Boyington was a Major and the C/O of the VMF-214 “Black Sheep” Squadron that
accumulated 94 victories of which 26 were Boyington’s.

HM HA8202 F4U-1A Corsair VMF-214 "Black Sheep" White 86
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1