The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

HM HA8401 P-47D Thunderbolt Gabreski 56th FG Bubble Canopy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
daveyator

PostSubject: HM HA8401 P-47D Thunderbolt Gabreski 56th FG Bubble Canopy   Tue Feb 21 2017, 11:05

Here is my HM P-47D (apparently ....explain later) Thunderbolt. Its even big in 1/48 scale. Very nice model. A few comments of course. First the bombs are wing specific even though not labeled. They don't sit nice and flush unless on the correct wing. I may be being hyper picky but I swear theres a slight difference in the mounts on each bomb. Notice the missing pitot tube...oops! Another HM I can't open the canopy on. Also the production pics show one star and bar under the right wing but mine has them under both wings(thanks Hornchurch for the clarification). I also had to slightly file down the little ears on the gear to get the gear strut to fit. Plastic prop. The reason I say apparently a P47D is I've been walking around thinking that P47D's were razorbacks and P47N's were bubble canopy. Now this silly hobby is telling me that P47D's are razorbacks AND bubbles. I'm so confused...lol!

And my usual pasting of HM's description

During WWII Francis “Gabby” Gabreski flew 153 of his 166 combat sorties with the 56th FG. He
accumulated a total of 28 aerial and 3 ground victories flying 5 different P-47s that all carried the
letters HV-A. On June 27, 1944 Grabreski scored his 27th victory followed by his 28th and final
WWII victory on July 5, 1944. Instead of returning home on July 20, 1944 Grabreski flew one last
mission and flew too low fouling his prop and spent the remainder of the war as a POW.

HM HA8401 P-47D Thunderbolt Gabreski 56th FG Bubble Canopy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1