The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW: Spitfire Mk. IX

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: REVIEW: Spitfire Mk. IX   Tue Feb 21 2017, 11:11

I am definitely not a Spitfire aficionado. It just isn’t one of those planes I generally go out of my way to get. But this one was a freebie offered with another model I recently purchased off eBay. Once the box was opened, I was pleasantly surprised.

Not being an expert Spit man, I can’t attest to the accuracy of all those little details that true Spitfire enthusiasts love to argue over. For me, it looks like a Spitfire. Like all FoV models, this one is heavy (lots of metal here), has deep panel lines, boasts a poorly applied wash (which adds a bit of grunge weathering), and has some questionable three color roundels on the upper wing surfaces. The model features a detailed Merlin engine which can be seen by removing the engine panels. I chose to glue my panels on as they did not fit very well. The overall effect isn’t really that bad. I added some gun and engine exhaust staining, a bit of walkway weathering, and I filled in the white on the upper wing roundels.

Not on par with a newer Corgi Spitfire or even the Gemini Mark IX offering, this model is pretty good for its price point. Those who would like to add a Spitfire and aren’t a stickler for 100% accuracy, this may be an affordable, low end option.

pmmaker

REVIEW: Spitfire Mk. IX
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1