The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

HM HA7811 Spitfire Mk.I P9386 QV-K No. 19 Sqn

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
daveyator

PostSubject: HM HA7811 Spitfire Mk.I P9386 QV-K No. 19 Sqn   Tue Feb 21 2017, 11:14

This is my take on the HM HA7811 Spitfire. I really like the paint and panel detailing. Its to the point I'm not sure I could paint a model as nicely myself. The landing gear and wheel wells look a little plain and one of the few HM issues in general is HM's use of plastic looking tires. I also wanted to comment as others have on just how hard it is to extend the landing gear on this. I found a slight twist as you gently pulled eased the extension but again wow, I felt like I would snap the gear off.

Now if you look at this next picture you'll see the red nav light and the panel section its on. This actually came to me broken off and if you look closely you can see light through that sections panel lines. I guess would say be careful of the wingtips on these. I'm not sure if I was seeing things but on some of the really early HM spits but the top panel lines appeared drawn in instead of moulded in.

Now for the real reason I shared my Spit! This next picture shows that small green piece. Does ANYONE...lol...know where that goes or what it is?? There are no slots or anything I can find although I thought i saw a blib about how it might be a balance weight for the rudder or something but again there is no indication where it goes.

Thanks again for looking and I hope one of you savvy collectors knows what that piece is. Here the HM description of this Spit.

Brian “Sandy” Lane flew with the No. 19 Squadron during the Dunkirk evacuation and was
awarded a DFC. On September 7, 1940 Lane shot down a Bf-110 while flying P9386/QV-K and
on the 9th and 11th claimed a Bf-110 and a He-111 while being flown by Flt. Lt. Peter Lawson.
Later that month Lane was promoted to Squadron Leader. The aircraft was transferred and
eventually was destroyed in an accident in 1944. On December 13, 1942 Lane pursued 2
Fw-190s and was never seen again.

HM HA7811 Spitfire Mk.I P9386 QV-K No. 19 Sqn
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1