The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

AF1 B-25B Mitchell s/n 02344 Cole signature edition

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
daveyator

PostSubject: AF1 B-25B Mitchell s/n 02344 Cole signature edition   Tue Feb 21 2017, 11:25

I only have a few 1/72 warplanes. I bought this because it was a signed edition by in my mind a hero pilot. The model is so so and I've read on here that AF1 models aren't necessarily the greatest but I also have limited experience with them so keep that in mind about my comments. The underside looks better than the top to me for some reason although the bomb bay doors aren't really apparent. The cowl flaps are surprisingly detailed. The insert yourself tail guns look very fake and appear too long as does the pitot tube on the wing. The landing gear is simple looking and the pin in the nose wheel hints at a toyish look. This is one of those barely sits on its nose gear models as in the merest touch sits it on its tail. Finally, when on the stand it sits nose low. There are two "pegs" in sits on but it stubbornly rocks forward. Not horrible but it looks like they should have tilted the stand a bit for it to sit straight on it. Also the propellers are simple black plastic and they look it....does anyone know if the props were really blacked out or should have silver spinners and yellow tips? Still its not a bad model and again its more than cool that was signed by Doolittle's copilot. I think you can get an un signed one also thats probably cheaper.

Last edited by daveyator on Mon Feb 27 2017, 19:51; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-25B Mitchell s/n 02344 Cole signature edition   Sat Feb 25 2017, 13:39

Dave,

Great review of a so-so model.  Where to begin?

First off, AF1 did itself no favors by designing a model with accuracy flaws.  On many forums, collectors bemoan some of the errors that Corgi has incorporated into its models.  Anything from the wrong tail guns to poor color choices.  Now AF1 had a chance to really make a different model that could (and in all likelihood would) surpass Corgi and sadly, they failed.  This model, while not awful by any means, falls way short of the potential that it could of reached.

Some of the more noticeable errors including those you mentioned also include the dorsal turret is either the wrong shape or size and isn't seated correctly, the guns are too long, and the toyish landing gear.  The scheme, while interesting to some collectors, really fails to spark the imagination.  Months after its initial release, we still have no word from AF1 regarding a follow up release.  That in my view is really telling and speaks volumes about the model's quality, popularity, and sales potential.

The all black props and hubs are historically accurate for B-25s that took part in the Tokyo Raid.  But as pieces of shiny plastic, they make the model look more like a toy than a collectible die-cast model. The price (@$80.00 for the regular, non-signed version) is not too bad, but one has to wonder if what you get is worth it.

At one point I almost got this one on sale as I wanted to repaint it as a North Africa plane, but I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. what?

pmmaker

Last edited by pmmaker on Sat Apr 15 2017, 12:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Captain Eddie

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-25B Mitchell s/n 02344 Cole signature edition   Sat Feb 25 2017, 16:45

If I remember correctly, were not the tail guns left out to save weight, and black painted broomsticks used instead?
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-25B Mitchell s/n 02344 Cole signature edition   Sun Feb 26 2017, 08:24

Captain Eddie wrote:
If I remember correctly, were not the tail guns left out to save weight, and black painted broomsticks used instead?

I believe you are correct Captain.  I remember reading that the rear gun(s) were broom handles painted black.  This was a weight saving measure as you posted.  The hope was that the raid would be such a complete surprise that Japanese fighters could not get up in time to intercept.  Hence why when the Hornet came across a Japanese fishing (picket) boat several hundred miles sooner than expected, the raid had to be launched early.

pmmaker

AF1 B-25B Mitchell s/n 02344 Cole signature edition
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1