The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Heller 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf-109F "Tropical"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Heller 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf-109F "Tropical"   Tue Feb 21 2017, 11:43

History:
The Messerschmitt Bf-109F was the successor to the famous and extremely potent "Emile" version of Willy Messerschmitt's little fighter.

The prototype of the Messerschmitt 109F was designed and constructed from a Bf-109 E cell on which a new 1300 HP Daimler-Benz DB 601 E engine was installed. The new engine meant that the shape and location of the compressor intake, as well as the propeller and under wing radiators were modified.

The "Francis" flew for the first time on June 10th, 1940 in Augsburg-Haus-Tetton and was first put in operation in June, 1941 in North Africa. It was equipped with a 20mm cannon firing through the propeller hub and two 7.9 mm machine guns mounted internally on the upper engine cowling. With a minimum speed of 630 km/h and a flight endurance of 1.3 hours, the Bf-109F was a dramatically improved aircraft to its predecessor.

The kit:
A fun and easy kit to build. The model has nice cockpit detail (no pilot figure) and features slightly raised panel lines. Little to no filling and sanding is needed. A small plane (7 inch wingspan), this kit represents the type accurately. Decals looked bad, but once you immerse them in water they were just easy to use. All weathering is through using Tamiya pastels.

Pictures:
The model shows off nicely:

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf-109F "Tropical"   Tue Feb 21 2017, 11:44

A couple of years ago, I built a 48th scale version of the Messerschmitt 109F. Here is my new Heller build with its big brother from Airfix.

BTW: The 48th scale model is up for adoption. If anyone is interested in giving it a good home, let me know!

pmmaker

Heller 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf-109F "Tropical"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1