The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

ICM 1/72 Kawasaki Ki-10-II

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: ICM 1/72 Kawasaki Ki-10-II   Tue Feb 21 2017, 13:05

Interesting plane that is not a mainstay in most collections.

This ICM kit is fairly small (1/72nd scale) and intricate in its details. I've never built an ICM kit, but after reading several of Propwash's reviews, I decided to give it a go.

HISTORY:

The Kawasaki Ki-10 Army Type 95 Fighter was the last biplane fighter used by the Imperial Japanese Army, entering service in 1935. Built by Kawasaki for the Imperial Japanese Army, it saw combat service in Manchukuo and in north China during the early stages of the Second Sino-Japanese War. Its reporting name given by the Allies was "Perry".

The Ki-10 was the main fighter aircraft of the Imperial Japanese Army in the late 1930s. The first prototype was constructed by the Kawasaki company under the supervision of chief designer Takeo Doi. The prototype was completed in March of 1935 and in September, the Ki-10 was ordered into production as the Type 95 Fighter.

Since November 1937 to December 1938, production was switched to a modified version: the Ki-10-II which featured an increased wingspan and fuselage length.

The Ki-10 was one of the best biplane fighters of the pre-WWII period. The Ki-10 was deployed in Manchukuo (Manchuria) and in the initial campaigns of the Second Sino-Japanese War in northern China. It proved an excellent dogfighter against the planes of the Chinese Air Force, including those active at the Battle of Wuhan. However, by the time of the Nomonhan Incident (Battles of Khalkhin Gol) in 1939, against the forces of Soviet Russia, it was largely obsolete.

At the beginning of the Pacific War, the Ki-10 was retired to training and secondary missions, but later returned to front-line service, performing short-range patrol and reconnaissance missions in Japan proper and China in January–February, 1942.

Build Notes:

The kit features finely molded parts. No pilot is supplied, but the cockpit is very nicely detailed. Wing struts are fragile and extreme care is needed when cutting them off the sprue. I broke two and had to reglue them.

Decals are excellent and give markings for two different aircraft. They are very thin to the point of being see-through, so again, care is needed when applying them. Micro-sol was used, but it definitely wasn't needed.

Issues arise with the tail planes being butt fitted with no locator pins, and with the outer wing struts needing to cantor outwards. Getting this alignment right requires a lot of trial and error. Otherwise, no serious issues that a competent builder could not handle were encountered.

Pictures:

pmmaker

ICM 1/72 Kawasaki Ki-10-II
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1