The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Tutorial: Painting wheels and Tires

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Tutorial: Painting wheels and Tires   Tue Feb 21 2017, 13:18

As a builder, I am often asked, "How do you paint the wheel disks without getting any on the tires?"

Well small wheel hubs and tires do pose certain problems for me.  But after many years of building, I have come up with a procedure to paint wheel hubs and tires that works rather well.  To paint my tires and hubs, I follow these simple steps.

1) I paint the wheel hub with the base color and then I let it completely dry overnight.  It doesn't matter if some paint gets on the tires at this stage.

2) Using a very fine tipped Sharpie marker or a sharp pencil (for WWI planes especially), I trace around the edge where the hub and tire meet.  This leaves a flat black (or gray if using a pencil) demarcation "ring" on the hub.

3) Then I paint the tire either dark gray, flat black, or I use Testor's rubber.  I carefully paint up to the dark demarcation line left by the Sharpie or pencil.  If I need to, I wait for the tire paint to dry and then I re-apply the black Sharpie ink or  pencil by retracing the hub / tire joint.

4) I shoot the tire / hub with a flat varnish or Dullcote.

That's the process I use.  For large kits that have the hub separate from the tire, I just paint the hub and tire and carefully glue the hub into the tire.

Hope this helps you out.

rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: Painting wheels and Tires   Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:23

Thanks for that pmmaker. Will try that, painting wheels and cockpits are my pet hates.  John.
Back to top Go down

Tutorial: Painting wheels and Tires
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1