The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Corgi Swordfish 816 Squadron

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DCRanger

PostSubject: Corgi Swordfish 816 Squadron   Tue Feb 21 2017, 16:49

First posted Wed Apr 15, 2015

Prompted by Allen's comment in the 3 Years thread I thought I would start the theme on older models. To start with, one of my favourite subjects, the Swordfish and in this case the 816 Squadron example from 2007 I believe. It was produced as part of the Legends range which used a different packaging and at a lower price than the Aviation Archive range. Although the detail level was reduced they were exactly the same casting. In fact, this example is regarded by many as the best of Corgi's Swordfish, the main complaint was the packaging which made it difficult to extract the model and even more difficult if you wanted to replace it.

I'll start with a photo of the real aircraft of 816 Squadron.

At the time D Day stripes had been added and the squadron was tasked with anti-submarine patrols in the English Channel to prevent U-boats getting in amongst the invasion fleet. For this they were armed with RP's which had been found to be very effective against U-boats in the Atlantic and Arctic waters.

Last edited by DCRanger on Tue Feb 21 2017, 16:53; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Corgi Swordfish 816 Squadron   Tue Feb 21 2017, 16:51

The model photo's are also from 2007 - my style has changed a little since then. Smile

I rarely try to modify my models but in this case I made an exception by adding RP's, it just incomplete without them. They were acquired from an old Airfix kit  and refined a little by thing down the rails and the backing plate.

Back to top Go down

Corgi Swordfish 816 Squadron
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1