The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Corgi Hawker Typhoon Night Fighter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DCRanger

PostSubject: Corgi Hawker Typhoon Night Fighter   Tue Feb 21 2017, 17:01

First posted Sun Apr 19, 2015

Following the theme of older models this one dates back to 2007 and a one off version of the Hawker Typhoon night fighter. The original aircraft was an experimental version tested by the Royal Aircraft  Establishment from November 1942/March 1943 and featured AI radar. The black boxes were fitted in the wing which necessitated the removal a fuel tank. To compensate, the aircraft was fitted with a drop tank and at some point two tanks.

The model was if I remember correctly, a commissioned model from the now defunct Model Zone and featured the radar antenna and fuel tank. The colours were standard for a night fighter during the later years of the war when it was found to be more effective than the all black schemes. The Typhoon was always a bit of a handful  but must have been even more so when flown at night whilst trying to operate the AI at the same time.

Sadly the model wasn't greeted with much enthusiasm from collectors but it took me back to my youth and William Green in whose book I first saw photographs of the type.

Back to top Go down

Corgi Hawker Typhoon Night Fighter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1