The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS & GUESTS! The Model Aircraft Collector Forum will be permanently shut down effective October 31st.

Share | 

 Marushin# S028 IJNAS Akagi Carrier Flying Group B5N2 AI-301 Mitsuo Fuchita , December 7th 1941

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Kyushu J7W


Posts : 192
Join date : 2017-02-18
Location : East Coast USA

PostSubject: Marushin# S028 IJNAS Akagi Carrier Flying Group B5N2 AI-301 Mitsuo Fuchita , December 7th 1941   Sat Feb 18 2017, 21:35

Nakajima B5N2 Model 12  Kanko/Kate    
Producer Marushin ( This diecast line is occasionally active, but releases are limited )
Model number  S028
IJNAS Akagi Carrier Flying Group B5N2  AI-301, Mitsuo Fuchita  , December 7th 1941.

Marushin diecast are impressive pieces of of metal. Very little plastic, solid, great panel lines but completely bereft of cockpit detail. They need to be assembled but this as a rule is easily done. Saves on box storage space. Other that the Willow I encountered few snags that were not worked through with very basic modeling skills and a small screwdriver and swiss army knife. The canopies are snap in arrangements but a drop of clear elmers glue holds them in place. Some owners have used 1.48 plastic model cockpit interiors and created astonishing detail to flesh out their Marushins, but I personally have never attempted this. The landing gear is also sparse on detail but not so noticeable. Cannon, machine guns and pitot tubes are metal rods and should be painted. The rods can take a bit of filing down to place within the wings. Still this is more than worth the effort.  In the case of the Kate there seems to be a missing radio mast in the Marushin offering..

Specifications (Nakajima B5N2)
General characteristics
• Crew: 3 (1 pilot, 1 commander and 1 back gunner/radio operator)
• Length: 10.30 m (33 ft 9½ in)
• Wingspan: 15.52 m (50 ft 11 in)
• Height: 3.70 m (12 ft 1⅝ in)
• Wing area: 37.7 m² (406 ft²)
• Empty weight: 2,279 kg (5,024 lb)
• Loaded weight: 3,800 kg (8,380 lb)
• Max. takeoff weight: 4,100 kg (9,040 lb)
• Powerplant: 1 × Nakajima Sakae 11 radial engine, 750 kW (1,000 hp)

• Maximum speed: 378 km/h (204 kn, 235 mph)
• Range: 1,992 km (1,075 NM, 1,237 mi)
• Service ceiling: 8,260 m (27,100 ft)
• Rate of climb: 6.5 m/s (1,283 ft/min)
• Wing loading: 101 kg/m² (21 lb/ft²)
• Power/mass: 0.20 kW/kg (0.12 hp/lb)

• Guns: 1 × 7.7 mm Type 92 machine gun 'Ru' (Lewis) in rear dorsal position, fed by hand loaded drum magazines of 97 rounds. A number of B5N1s were equipped with 2 × 7.7 Type 97 machine guns in the wings.
• Bombs: 1 × 800 kg (1,760 lb) type 91 torpedo or 1x 800kg (1,760lb) bomb or 2 × 250 kg (550 lb) bombs or 6 × 132 kg (293 lb) bombs[5]

The Nakajima B5N (Japanese: 中島 B5N, Allied reporting name "Kate") was the standard carrier torpedo bomber of the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) for much of World War II.  It was one of the first Japanese aircraft to use a hydraulically operated retractable undercarriage, and also had a hydraulic wing folding mechanism. The wings were hinged so that they folding at different angles, allowing their tips to overlap when fully folded (with one wing tip in front of the other). The prototype used Fowler flaps, which increased lift when extended, reducing the aircraft's landing and take-off speeds. The prototype was powered by a Nakajima Hiukari 2 engine 9-cylinder single row radial engine, which powered a variable pitch propeller.

The first prototype was completed in December 1936 and made its maiden flight in January 1937. The new aircraft reached a top speed of nearly 230mph, well above the Navy's requirements. The hydraulic systems caused some problems, but these were soon solved in the undercarriage.

The Nakajima B5N 'Kate' was the most successful Japanese torpedo bomber of the Second World War, playing a major part in every victory in the year after Pearl Harbor. The B5N was the first truly successful Japanese torpedo bomber.  Primarily a carrier-based aircraft, it was also occasionally used as a land-based bomber.  Although the B5N was substantially faster and more capable than its Allied counterparts, the TBD Devastator, Fairey Swordfish and Fairey Albacore, it was nearing obsolescence by 1941.  The aircraft performed well in China during 1938  where it was used as a land based tactical bomber, escorted by A5M Navy Type 96 fighters. Its lack of crew armor, self-sealing fuel tanks or a useful defensive armament didn’t cause any problems. Its combat debut came in China in late 1938,  A small number of aircraft were posted to French Indo China in the autumn of 1940, from where they took part in operations in China.

Nevertheless, the B5N operated throughout the whole war, due to the delayed development of its successor, the B6N. In the early part of the Pacific War, flown by well-trained IJN aircrews and as part of well-coordinated attacks, the B5N achieved particular successes at the battles of Pearl Harbor, Coral Sea, Midway, and Santa Cruz Islands.

On December 7th, 1941 at 7:48 a.m. Hawaiian Time, the US Naval base at Pearl Harbor was  attacked by the Empire of Japan to prevent the US Pacific Fleet from interfering with planned Japanese military actions in Southeast Asia.    The attack was carried out by six aircraft carriers (Akagi, Kaga, Soryu, Hiryu, Shokaku, and Zuikaku).  353 fighters, bombers and torpedo planes were launched in two waves from a task force of   northwest of Hawaii. The damage inflicted was massive. All eight U.S. Navy battleships were damaged, with four being sunk, in addition to damaging or sinking three cruisers, three destroyers, an anti-aircraft training ship and one mine layer. 188 U.S. aircraft were destroyed; 2,402 Americans were killed and 1,282 wounded. Japanese losses were light: 29 aircraft and five midget submarines lost, and 65 servicemen killed or wounded. One Japanese sailor was captured. The attack came as a profound shock to the American people and led directly to the American entry into World War II in both the Pacific and European theaters. Franklin D. Roosevelt  proclaimed December 7, 1941, "a date which will live in infamy".

The actual attack on Pearl Harbor was commanded by Mitsuo Fuchida. At 06:00, the first wave of 183 dive bombers, torpedo bombers, level bombers and fighters took off from carriers north of Oahu and headed for the U.S. Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor.
The B5N came to the world's attention on 7 December 1941, during the attack on Pearl Harbor. The B5N was armed with improvised weapons for this attack - the torpedoes had to be given wooden fins to prevent them from hitting the bottom of the shallow harbor, while the 'bombs' were actually 16in naval shells with tail fins. There were 40 torpedo armed B5Ns and fifty bomb-armed B5Ns in the first wave and fifty-five bomb armed B5Ns in the second wave. At this point the Japanese aircraft were manned by highly skilled crews, and the torpedo bombers claimed a 90% hit rate.

Fuchida  B5N2 Kate lead the way and at 0749 sent the coded signal "To, To, To" (Totsugeskiseyo - "charge") to his 51 D3A dive bombers, 40 B5N torpedo bombers, 50 B5N high level bombers and 43 A6M fighters. At 0753 he sent the message Tora, Tora, Tora, back to the Japanese Fleet meaning the operation was successful.  Fuchida remained on site to assess the damage from both attack waves and returned to the Akagi with 20 large anti-aircraft holes.

At 07:20, Fuchida, who by this time had achieved the rank of commander, led the way down the island's eastern side, then banked west and flew along the southern coast past the city of Honolulu.  He ordered "Tenkai!" ("Take attack position!"), and then at 07:40 Hawaiian Standard Time, seeing no U.S. activity at Pearl Harbor, Fuchida slid back the canopy of his Nakajima B5N2 Type 97 Model 3 "Kate" torpedo bomber and fired a green flare, the signal to attack.

At 07:49, Fuchida instructed his radio operator, Petty Officer 1st Class Norinobu Mizuki, to send the coded signal "To, To, To" ("Totsugeki seyo!"—"Strike!") to the other aircraft. 51 D3A dive bombers, 40 B5N torpedo bombers, 50 B5N high level bombers and 43 A6M fighters.  Fuchida’s pilot, Lieutenant Mitsuo Matsuzaki, guided the bomber in a sweep around Barber’s Point, Oahu.

At 07:53, Fuchida ordered Mizuki to send the code words "Tora! Tora! Tora!"  back to the carrier Akagi, the flagship of 1st Air Fleet. The message meant that complete surprise had been achieved.[8] Due to favorable atmospheric conditions, the transmission of the "Tora! Tora! Tora!" code words from the moderately powered transmitter were heard over a ship's radio in Japan by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, the wartime naval commander, and his staff, who were sitting up through the night awaiting word on the attack

Shortly after 08:00,

10 Nakajima B5N "Kate" torpedo bombers, five each from the carriers Kaga and Hiryu;, attacked Arizona. All of the aircraft were carrying 410-millimeter (16.1 in) armor-piercing shells modified into 797-kilogram (1,757 lb) bombs. Flying at an estimated altitude of 3,000 meters (9,800 ft), Kaga's aircraft bombed Arizona from amidships to stern. Soon after, Hiryu's bombers hit the bow area.  

The aircraft scored four hits and three near misses on and around Arizona. The near miss off the port bow is believed to have caused observers to believe that the ship had been torpedoed, although no torpedo damage has been found. The stern most bomb ricocheted off the face of Turret IV and penetrated the deck to detonate in the captain's pantry, causing a small fire. The next forward most hit was near the port edge of the ship, abreast the mainmast, probably detonating in the area of the anti-torpedo bulkhead. The next bomb struck near the port rear 5-inch AA gun.

The last bomb hit at 08:06 in the vicinity of Turret II, likely penetrating the armored deck near the ammunition magazines located in the forward section of the ship. While not enough of the ship is intact to judge the exact location, its effects are indisputable: about seven seconds after the hit, the forward magazines detonated in a cataclysmic explosion, mostly venting through the sides of the ship and destroying much of the interior structure of the forward part of the ship. This caused the forward turrets and conning tower to collapse downward some 25–30 feet (7.6–9.1 m) and the foremast and funnel to collapse forward. The explosion killed 1,177 of the 1,512 crewmen on board at the time, over half of the lives lost during the attack. It touched off fierce fires that burned for two days; debris showered down on Ford Island in the vicinity.

The blast from this explosion also put out fires on the repair ship Vestal, which was moored alongside. VESTAL received two direct bomb hits from the dive bombers at about 0805.  The first hit was forward   penetrating three decks,detonating in a storeroom. The second hit was aft  . It passed completely through the ship and exploded under water close aboard.    

As the first wave returned to the carriers, Fuchida remained over the target to assess damage and observe the second-wave attack. He returned to his carrier only after the second wave had completed its mission. With great pride, he announced that the U.S. battleship fleet had been destroyed. Fuchida inspected his craft and found 21 large flak holes: the main control wires were barely holding together. The successful attack made Fuchida a national hero who was granted a personal audience with Emperor Hirohito.
On 19 February 1942, Fuchida led the first of two waves of 188 aircraft in a devastating air raid on Darwin, Australia. On 5 April, he led another series of air attacks by carrier-based Japanese aircraft against Royal Navy bases in Ceylon, which was the headquarters of the British Eastern Fleet, in what Winston Churchill described as "the most dangerous moment" of World War II.

In June, while on board Akagi, Fuchida was wounded at the Battle of Midway. Unable to fly while recovering from an emergency shipboard appendectomy a few days before the battle, he was on the ship's bridge during the morning attacks by U.S. aircraft. After Akagi was hit, a chain reaction from burning fuel and live bombs began the destruction of the ship. When flames blocked the exit from the bridge, the officers evacuated down a rope, and as Fuchida slid down, an explosion threw him to the deck and broke his ankles.

Staff officer Lt.Com_Mitsuo_Fuchida & Staff Sergeant Jacob Daniel DeShazer

After the war ended, Fuchida became a Christian evangelist and traveled through the United States and Europe to tell his story. He settled permanently in the United States but never became a U.S. citizen. Fuchida died of complications caused by diabetes in Kashiwara, near Osaka on 30 May 1976 at the age of 73.   DeShazer, the Doolittle Raider who bombed Nagoya, met Captain Mitsuo Fuchida, , becoming close friends.   Fuchida became a Christian in 1950 after reading a tract written about DeShazer titled, I Was a Prisoner of Japan, and spent the rest of his life as a missionary in Asia and the United States. On occasion, DeShazer and Fuchida preached together as Christian missionaries in Japan. In 1959, DeShazer moved to Nagoya to establish a Christian church in the city he had bombed. DeShazer retired after 30 years of missionary service in Japan and went back to his home town in Salem, Oregon where he spent the last years of his life in an assisted living home with his wife, Florence. On 15 March 2008, DeShazer died in his sleep at the age of 95, leaving his wife and five children: Paul, John, Mark, Carol, and Ruth.

After recuperation, Fuchida spent the rest of the war as a staff officer. In October 1944 he was promoted to captain. The day before the first atom bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, he was in that city to attend a week-long military conference with Japanese army officers. Fuchida received a long-distance call from Navy Headquarters asking him to return to Tokyo. The day after the bombing, he returned to Hiroshima with a party sent to assess the damage. All members of Fuchida's party died of radiation poisoning, but Fuchida exhibited no symptoms.

Fuchida's hand-drawn map showing the post-Pearl Harbor attack destruction sold at auction for $425,000 in New York City on 6 December 2013. The map had previously been owned by Malcolm Forbes

Apart from this raid, the greatest successes of the B5N2 were the key roles it played in sinking the United States Navy aircraft carriers Lexington and Hornet, and the disabling of the Yorktown, The B5N was meant to have been replaced by the B6N Tenzan, and although this had been delayed, it had entered service by 1944  A handful of B5Ns took part in the Battle of the Philippine Sea, and others were used in their intended role during the fighting in the Philippines, but by this point they were outdated, vulnerable and outnumbered, and casualties were high.  The B5N served as the basis for a follow-on design, the B6N, which eventually replaced it in front line service. The B5N continued to fly in secondary roles, such as training, target towing, and anti-submarine warfare. Some of the aircraft used for this latter purpose were equipped with early radars and magnetic anomaly detectors. B5Ns were also used as bombers during the unsuccessful defence of the Philippines in October 1944, suffering severe losses. Later in the war, they were also used for kamikaze attacks. Altogether, around 1,150 were built; however, not a single complete example survived.

Replicas of the B5N2s were made from U.S. North American T-6 Texan trainers, and Aichi D3A dive bombers were created using BT-13 Valiant training aircraft, which were modified to represent Japanese aircraft for the movie Tora! Tora! Tora!, and have been used in a number of movies and airshows since to depict the aircraft.

A total of 1,149 were produced, by Nakajima, Aichi and the Dai-Juichi Kaigun Kokusho.  One recovered B5N2 is at the Wings museum in Balcombe, West Sussex, UK; This large portion was recovered from the Kuril Islands by a British private collector in 2003.

If you score a victory but lose your wingman, you lost the battle.
Back to top Go down
Marushin# S028 IJNAS Akagi Carrier Flying Group B5N2 AI-301 Mitsuo Fuchita , December 7th 1941
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
» 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment: The History of the Kangaroos
» 1st Canadain Armoured Carrier Regiment
» Vietnam Origami Group #5 VOG : 50 Heures de pliage - LNP #5 VOG
» Singer/group/song A-Z
» flying carp by brian chan

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Model Aircraft Collector Forum :: Die-cast Models :: Marushin-
Jump to: